Jeepin.com Forums

Jeepin.com Forums (https://www.jeepin.com/forum/index.php)
-   Jeep Talk (https://www.jeepin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Official End of the JK, Friday April 27th, 2018 (https://www.jeepin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153)

Dennis 04-25-2018 10:49 AM

Official End of the JK, Friday April 27th, 2018

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...G06/180429898/

Cobound 04-25-2018 11:26 AM

Adios...waiting for the JT, or an affordable JL to come along well before I give up my JK.

Was another great Jeep run, now only if they brought the REAL Cherokee (XJ) back w/ the updates the JL received :eek:

B

6DoF 04-26-2018 06:24 AM

http://billgeist.typepad.com/.a/6a00...8fa2a7b970b-pi

bbaCJ8 04-26-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobound (Post 10524)
Adios...waiting for the JT, or an affordable JL to come along well before I give up my JK.

Was another great Jeep run, now only if they brought the REAL Cherokee (XJ) back w/ the updates the JL received :eek:

B

JT is gonna be a helluva lot less affordable than the JL, so don't get too excited. I've heard from a reliable source that it's intended as a niche vehicle and will be priced accordingly.

Cobound 04-26-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 (Post 10543)
JT is gonna be a helluva lot less affordable than the JL, so don't get too excited. I've heard from a reliable source that it's intended as a niche vehicle and will be priced accordingly.

Yeah, that's why I said I'll be waiting :lol:

Totally NOT excited to hear the price, and likely not even an option after I've had my JK to Moab. I really like the dry storage space, the interior room, wheelbase...and most of all, especially after have my hangover scraping Scrambler...the departure angle on mine is freakin sweet!

Anyway, I'm not a JK hater, so I'm good w/ what I got for the time.

Sir Sam 04-26-2018 05:17 PM

Man that article was harsh at the end.

xj_man_646 04-27-2018 06:15 AM

The end of the article is accurate.

One thing to note is the wind noise. I drove a JL with 750 miles on it last week, and had wind noise around the doors. Bugged the sh1t out of me for a brand new vehicle with that price tag.

Cobound 04-27-2018 08:49 AM

Meh, I've gotten wind noise in other high end vehicles, the JL I drove was everything you could ask for.

It's not a car :rolleyes:

That right there was likely their harshest feedback...people buying one thought they were getting into a car, they weren't. Which lead to low reviews and such, as the article stated as well...IIRC. Anyway, "it is what it" is never fit a vehicle better than a Jeep Wrangler :lol:

6DoF 04-27-2018 11:48 AM

ppl get into $500,000 convertible cars and complain about wind noise ... these are the same ppl executing the pyramid scheme of hate.

xj_man_646 04-27-2018 12:38 PM

It also had more bump steer than my old wheeler did. Metro Detroit roads and a 2 door Wrangler do not go well :lol:

I will say it was far more comfortable than the JK's I have driven. When I sit comfortably in a JK, my head is touching the B-pillar. Not so with the JLs I have been in...that is nice.

champ 04-27-2018 12:56 PM

I had a 4dr Sahara JK as a rental in Canada this week and I thought it was incredibly quiet and comfortable. The ride was bit firm, but wind noise and tracking at 120kph (:f2:) was great.

Dennis 04-27-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champ (Post 10586)
I had a 4dr Sahara JK as a rental in Canada this week and I thought it was incredibly quiet and comfortable. The ride was bit firm, but wind noise and tracking at 120kph (:f2:) was great.

Yeah, relative to a CJ/YJ/TJ, they are silent. Compared to a Mercedes M-class they are a little loud. Compared to the Bentley SUV I rode in a few weeks ago, JKs are like being in a tornado.

Cobound 04-29-2018 09:26 PM

:lol:

Sir Sam 04-29-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

The Jeep Wrangler JK and especially the JKU Wrangler Unlimited were remarkable vehicles when they were introduced, and remained so even as they grew more and more obsolete over the ensuing decade. When the last one rolls on Friday, Jeep fans everywhere should raise a glass to its passing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by xj_man_646 (Post 10569)
The end of the article is accurate.

Fukkin burn man.

bbaCJ8 04-30-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xj_man_646 (Post 10585)
It also had more bump steer than my old wheeler did. Metro Detroit roads and a 2 door Wrangler do not go well :lol:

I will say it was far more comfortable than the JK's I have driven. When I sit comfortably in a JK, my head is touching the B-pillar. Not so with the JLs I have been in...that is nice.

It's easy to fix the wind noise. I was driving one this weekend. Had the freedom panels off for a while, got one of the seals folded over when I reinstalled. Took 30 seconds to fix and it's back to being quieter than my car, even on 35" KM2s.

Bump steer isn't bad at all on these. It's got front and rear track bars, so on major road disturbances they can get upset a bit, but it's not much different than most vehicles I've driven.

xj_man_646 04-30-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 (Post 10622)
It's easy to fix the wind noise. I was driving one this weekend. Had the freedom panels off for a while, got one of the seals folded over when I reinstalled. Took 30 seconds to fix and it's back to being quieter than my car, even on 35" KM2s.

Bump steer isn't bad at all on these. It's got front and rear track bars, so on major road disturbances they can get upset a bit, but it's not much different than most vehicles I've driven.

The wind noise seemed to be coming from the front of the door on the driver's side (normally passenger's side - this was a RHD model), at the window. Who knows.

It was also a 2 door, which I know makes it a bit more unstable. It seemed to get unsettled easier than anything I have driven in recent history, but a short wheel base, solid axle vehicle will definitely tend to do that. At least it didn't rattle at all.

Who knows...with how much of an after thought the interior design of the RHD model was (very little room around the pedals - trans tunnel, etc., was definitely meant for a LHD vehicle), I wouldn't be surprised if it was a result of the RHD steering design itself :lol:

bbaCJ8 04-30-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xj_man_646 (Post 10627)
Who knows...with how much of an after thought the interior design of the RHD model was (very little room around the pedals - trans tunnel, etc., was definitely meant for a LHD vehicle), I wouldn't be surprised if it was a result of the RHD steering design itself :lol:

Obviously they switch the direction of the front track bar to match the RHD draglink. I wonder if they switch the rear also? I seriously hope so, because it would make for some funky handling having the front axle push left on bumps and the rear push right, it would tend to cock the chassis slightly each time. We've got a RHD Brute downstairs, I'll check on that(not that it's the same).

Edit:
Brain fart. Front and rear track bars run opposite from the factory. Probably for the balancing effect so the chassis feels straight over bumps. Both ends are switched on our RHD Brute, I assume they did on JL also so that wouldn't be the issue.

xj_man_646 05-01-2018 06:00 AM

Yeah, I thought they ran opposite directions from factory. I didn't even think to look at this one. I assume it is the same as the Brute you looked at...sadly, it is gone. I'll try to remember next time I see one

BanditXJ 05-03-2018 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobound (Post 10524)
if they brought the REAL Cherokee (XJ) back w/ the updates the JL received :eek:

Man... if only. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

xj_man_646 05-03-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanditXJ (Post 10735)
Man... if only. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

No kidding. Good lord that would be amazing :yes: