Thread: I went wheeling
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #48
Hoofmann
AKA: Kebo

It was a blast this weekend. Had some freak accidents but no trail carnage. My buddy Steve finished a one ton swap in his 5.3L powered 4Runner and the front 60 he bought already set up with gears. He was driving down the road in Sand Flats at about 30 mph when his front tires violently locked up and brought the rig to a screeching halt. After taking it apart on the trailer and discovering the pinion gear was totally seized, he took it to a shop for them to spend the day on it while he went and relaxed and rode along on Poison Spider. When we got off the trail, I went back to Dixie with him and they informed us that everything was still salvageable but whoever installed the gears didn’t put a crush sleeve or spacers in, resulting in the bearing chewing itself up. Paul had a front caliper egress his SAS’d tacoma. No idea how that happened. No breakage here; I’m starting to get real comfortable with driving my TJ on the highway in the mountains and of course it did not rain at all when I had my top on.

I didn’t actually take many pictures but we had a lot of people riding along taking pictures so I will post them as they come in.

Hoofmann is offline   Reply With Quote