View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 06:17 AM   #1
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Default TJ long arm build

so i've been a bad sharer, here i've been helping a buddy build a long arm TJ. basically re-printing the 4-link from my TJ for the back but with the stock wheelbase. also using my old semi-float 9" but with 4.25" cut out to make it a centered pinion. got in there to find the rust in the frame was way more then expected. drivers rear upper link ripping off, and pass front lower is also ripping off. so once we are confident that things are up and running in the back, we'll be doing a 3-link on the front with the stock d30 and stock panhard bar.

cut and welded the axle tube, it's thick wall, trussed, already had link brackets on it, and used the end cup to align it with my axle jig. also decided in the short term since he was just using my ragged old 3rd, to cut and weld the axle shaft. with the angle iron clamps and a set of v-blocks, the shaft has less run-out at the flange then it did when i gave it to him. i also figure even if weaker then the shaft use to be, the larger diameter of the shaft where welded vs the neck down at the splines was ok, vs the d35 is good.

had to dent the front of the gas tank by like 1/4" to not scrape the spider9. ran a ram 2500 master cyl with Earl's braided stainless -3an line back to a Parker ball valve, then split for future cutting brake and back to the calipers.

Last edited by 6DoF; 03-30-2018 at 08:04 AM.
6DoF is online now   Reply With Quote