View Single Post
Old 02-19-2024, 03:26 PM   #393
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
was toying with an idea while looking things over. pretty much "all the guys" were hating on it, but lets hear what you guys all think.

there's already an interesting dichotomy in this truck of new vs old, so why not with mechanical and electronic as well? i intend to push this engine, so for my own engineering entertainment and to really get it right, i really want/need full datalogging with a huge array of sensors. even just the basics are already too many gauge pods for this truck. the best way i think I've found is the Holley Pro dash. no way it'll fit behind the factory v-bezel, even if i wanted to be missing some screen. so what if i put the big screen for all the gauges and controls mid-dash? then i could do a phone mount in the factory cluster bezel for tunes/navigation.

thoughts?

What is the situation with the glovebox? Could you mount the display such that it could swing down and with the glovebox open give you the whole suite of data but when it's closed you just have some select, important gauges by the steering column? That would leave you room for a radio in the traditional area, they likely make "old look" radios that between them and carefully selected gauges would keep the traditional look in the cabin while giving you the functionality behind the scenes.

Alternatively, could you do a drop down slide from behind the dash? I have to imagine it's fairly empty back there and you might have room to engineer an angled slide solution of some sort. I'm picturing something that slides down and then pivots some.

If hiding the screen is too difficult, you do have the "benefit" in that you have this wolf in sheeps clothing appearance going on. The external body is original patina, but once past the exterior sheetmetal everywhere else it's new, (relatively) modern and tuned towards performance or comfort, why couldn't the interior be the same way? It would be nice to put some effort into keeping it a little more original inside to keep with the overall "rustic" theme but I wouldn't put too much effort into it.
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote