View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #55
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Oh, absolutely...what I’m saying is, it’ll be priced at SRT8 prices, or brought down to the Ram and diesel prices...it’s doable, just think it won’t happen.

I mean, a loaded JT Rubi is $60k, but that engine is more affordable than the aftermarket makes it seem.

Fine line... but they would COMPLETELY CANNIBALIZE their 1500 market!!

Just funny see it happening... other than being able to get more for a JT than a Ram

I’m in line!!
If it happens it will absolutely 100% be priced like an SRT and sold in limited numbers and it will have almost zero impact on their light truck market. No insider information here, just government mandates. They need to meet fleet CAFE requirements, and they can likely barely do that as-is. As much as people hate stuff like the Renegade, Compass, Cherokee, etc, those econoboxes selling in high numbers are what allow Wranglers to stay real Jeeps. They bring the average up. Add a big fuel-sucking V8 to the mix and down goes the average for MPG and up it goes for emissions. By limiting sales they can keep meeting the standards while creating a "special edition" mentality that they can charge more for while selling less of them.

I seriously doubt they'd be running the truck 6.4 in these either, I'd expect a detuned SRT variant made for go-fast fun. So no real risk to the light truck market. Think Mojave, not Max Tow. The Pentastar and 8 speed combo can already support every ounce of towing and payload that the chassis can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
RIGHT!!! After so many years of hearing "it won't happen" over and over again....man, I'm skeptical.

Honestly, it's GOT to put a damper on some of these companies already installing them...people on the fence are straight up halting their plans. Gonna have to wait and see...as much as I want one I won't be doing another swap, I'll take a factory one and pay for it.

Kinda curious how much AEV may know (HEY, Sean!) about it...I mean, they not only stopped installing the Hemis (at least I think), they stopped building the BDC prior to the JT coming out...makes ya wonder!

Dammit...I want to know what they'll cost. You KNOW they won't be cheap...and MF be too expensive for me

Have a buddy that just bought one with a 5.7 from Dakota Customs...Sting Grey, too, man...so jeally. Hasn't been delivered yet but he already has parts sitting in his garage to start the build
FCA has been trying to do a V8 for years, just like they were trying to do a Brute knockoff for years. It's been on-again, off-again since before the JL even launched. It's entirely possible that they'll do it, especially now that the Bronco has lit a much-needed fire under their collective assses.

V8 swaps were much more realistic with the early JK. The 3.8L was a turd, the auto was meh, and boosting it was a ticking time bomb. The 3.6L was a drastic improvement, and now with the 8 speed there's zero practical reason for a V8 swap in a JL or JT. Cool factor and better audio for sure, but neither of those are practical reasons. The factory powertrain options are capable above and beyond the rest of the vehicle platform. Add in the electrical nightmare involved in making it work on a new vehicle along with the decently high likelihood that an OEM offering will severely undercut your aftermarket offering and it's hard to make a business case for most companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
Between the just announced TRX (drool), the "concept" 392 Wrangler (conceptual drool), and now this Wagoneer seeming to be way more then just an extended Grand Cherokee (luxurious drool), FCA is on a real roll.
The TRX is awesome. It's hilarious watching the Raptor fanboys try to pick it apart without having a clue what tricks it's still hiding. "2.5s are way too small for a truck that size. Fox 3.0s for life, brah." Yeah ok, Kyle. Your Fox 3.0s are a 2.5" body shock inside a 3.0" fluid bypass reservoir. The active damping Bilsteins on the TRX are unbelievable. I've worked pretty closely with their tuner, who's done some of the baddest suspension tuning on the planet, including most of AEV's. He said they straight up defy physics. It's got different modes at the flip of a switch, it can sense when the vehicle is in the air and instantaneously switch for landing, and the damping range is unreal. I saw the damping curves overlaid with some other more traditional 2.5" shocks and it's mindblowing what those things can do. Gonna be a game changer. Mix it with over 700hp and the bar just got raised way up. I don't have any info on it that isn't already available out there, most people just don't know where to look, don't know what they're looking at, or would rather bash the competition than educate themselves on what they're up against.

Last edited by bbaCJ8; 08-25-2020 at 08:48 AM.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote