View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 04:13 PM   #4
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Awesome...I've seen trailers recently, some newer vehicles as well...but to do the Turo and others you'll likely need to use a newer vehicle, so you'll probably have to self market this, like on CL or FB or something, make your own page, etc.

Interesting, I like it!!! Insurance will be tricky, I'm sure...but keep it simple on the needs stuff and people will love that thing!
This is not a Turo vehicle, Turo is max 12 years old 130,000 miles. The Land Rover could be a Turo vehicle since its older than 1990 and fall under specialty/Classic.

Overlanding XJ might fall under specialty/classic if it were under 130k miles on Turo.

However I can list a 2000 MY and newer on outdoorsy, which is where I am planning to list the XJ. Talking to another person doing similar with Turo he does direct bookings on his website and just pays for search engine optimization.

Several newer JKs or other vehicles setup might warrant a different business model with a more comprehensive website, but this model is just really the getting started and trying out the business with low upfront cost. I'm also tossing around the idea of some overlanding trailer builds. Awhile back a family friend had a tent trailer that he robbed from stuff to build a van, I was thinking about modifying it for an overland trailer with lift and tires, but he sold it for like $500 before I could move on it.

If it seems like a reasonable side gig I'd invest more into more expensive vehicles like a JK or a Sprinter campervan, the campervan could be a decent cashflow but I'd be taking out a 60k loan to buy a used one just for the purpose of listing it for rent. My old VW campers could also qualify, but I don't want to rent out a personal camper, and they are old and mechanically iffy no matter what one you rent out.

Last edited by Sir Sam; 04-07-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote