Thread: JK vs. JL
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 12:18 PM   #21
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
well, i happen to know where there is a rust free southern LJ for sale, pre-built but needs some general TLC and adjustments. BUT ... it's an auto.

it's my BIL's, and i've actually been trying to convince the wife she wants to drive it in the winter and sell the GC.

A friend is selling a nearly identical one but it's a 6 speed. It's been wheeled and has minor rust, but overall a solid rig for a toy.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9864688329355/

As for JK vs JL, I went back and forth on what to get for my wife since I could have found a decent JKU drastically cheaper than the level of JL I wanted. I like everything about the JL better and have zero regrets about our decision. But to be fair, this is her DD and is going to be used on plenty of road trips and summer fun, not just a weekend toy. That definitely changes the equation. The late model JK is night and day better than early, which you're covered with since you want the 3.6. I've heard the 2012 were a bit more problematic though, so I'd try for 13+ if you can.

As for manual, I can't help too much there. I haven't driven a manual JK but from what others have said here it sounds far better than the JL. I drove a 2 door manual JL and the pedal feedback and rev hanging sucked as others said. And the engine was smooth and freaking silent so trying to get at the right RPM for driving without staring at the tach was a PITA. You couldn't do it by feel, so as others said it's just not a driver's car. I despise the sound of these engines with loud exhaust but it almost needs it just to be able to tell where RPM is at. To be fair this one was on 37s and 4.10s which didn't help the situation at all, but most of the issue would have been there stock too; this one was just extra sensitive to not being at the right RPM. JL is the first Wrangler I've ever driven that I prefer the automatic, which is due to both the great 8 speed and the crappy manual.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote