View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #44
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
You do realize many modern V6's come stock with more power than an LQ9, right? Nothing about "getting" more needed...

They also do it more efficiently, weigh less, and thus get you better road numbers.

I thought about an LQ9 swap into the buggy for some time, but wouldn't even give it a thought now. For a little more cost, I can get a much better power to weight ratio powerplant in there, that likely may have even more power or close to, an LQ9.

But hey, some people are about V8's like some people are about diesels "12V swap everything!"
The LQ4 is meant to be the cheap truck motor that makes all it's power just off idle, not be a HP monster. It's ~300hp may be less than a V6 but that same high HP V6 has nowhere near the torque, especially at low RPMs. The LQ9 is just a slightly higher output LQ4, but still is built to move a 6k pound truck with all the torques. Trying to compare it's HP output to a modern V6 is hardly fair.

Jeep already has access to a 300 hp version of the same corporate V6 they put in the Jeep, it's not like they couldn't give it power. But it's the low down torque that would make a more meaningful difference, and it's a lot more effortless with a higher displacement motor. And at that point, the V8 is the easy button to achieve it.

They do have the diesel now, which is a torque monster, but it's also the diesel that even James wouldn't buy.

Now that Jeep has competition from the Bronco, putting a V8 into the Jeep is a quick and easy way to get attention back to the Jeep brand.

Add in, I'm the perfect target audience for Jeep. Mid (ok, bordering late) 30s, no kids, dual income, prior Jeep owner. I should be in the market for a Wrangler. But ever since they dropped the 4.0 I6 I have not been impressed with how they drive, too sluggish with motors you have to wind the piss out of. If they are that bad stock, how bad are they with a set of 35s like they should have? But I won't buy one with the current motor options. I have to wait for someone like Brian to sell his cheap because they pony'd up for the V8 swap already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeepsbigger View Post
It's has to have the V8 sound, too. Because it's like having a really hot girlfriend with a terrible screechy voice. Yeah, she feels good, you just don't want anyone to hear her.
There is also this. I'm a man-child and I want V8 noises. A V8 Wrangler would complement my Challenger R/T and Charger Scat Pack well!
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote