Thread: JK vs. JL
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2023, 06:29 PM   #7
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
From a pure ice-cream retrieval, nice day only purpose? JK hands down.

I briefly owned a 2-door, manual, JK and I firmly believe it was a better driving experience than any manual JL I've driven. Some of the shortcomings of the JK can be alleviated with the correct aftermarket tidbits.
What were the major downsides? Driveability programming, like Matt mentioned further down? Or mechanical differences? The cable vs. direct shift difference I know has lead to some complaints with the shifter itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
there is no way i'd get a JK for any reason ... the JLs are just that much better i just don't think the value is there. on that note i'd get a TJ, or order a brand new base model. get the bare min, add a few bolt-on's, and sell it in a few years for basically what you have in it.
I'd get a TJ if I could find one that was affordable. Every one with minimal rust costs as much as a JK with the 3.6. The JK with the 3.8 seems to be the current low cost point. I like the idea of the advantages the JL offers with the improved suspension, ergonomics and everything else but I'm nervous that so many people seem to hate the manual. We won't back off of that requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
If a manual is a MUST - JK. Period. No question, none - and they are snappy, reliable vehicles.
JK > JL purely for the manual comments below? I mean, I also like the idea of spending less money... but it does seem weird to buy an 8 year old vehicle when a new one is really not that much less percentage of cost wise. Same reason to go with an 8-10 year old JK versus a 20 year old TJ.

Quote:
If you want to look at cost, and consider a JK and JL are not that far off in the 2 door variety - I'd go with a JL and an 8spd auto hands down. Period.
No auto!

Quote:
JL manuals blow hard, garbage, and you'll wonder WTF you wasted your time, money, and energy even considering it.
Are they failure prone? Difficult to drive? What specifically makes them so bad? I did a google search on their issues and mostly found people complaining about vague or hard shifting that seemed to be attributed to cable adjustments.

Quote:
Don't you already have a sporty manual? I know you're hard core stick shift, but you should really go test drive one and see for yourself - the 8 speed kills. And if you already have a manual, why get another
We already have the Challenger, but why only one clutch pedal in the driveway when you can have two? Plus, that's the wifes car, this would be more for me. It's already a compromise that I'd have to drive it with a V6 for a period of time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
while i don't say this much ... i kinda have to agree actually with B. they WAY over did the electronic BS and trying to take the driving out of the driving with the JL manual. i have a buddy who works for jeep and just went thru a huge re-do to re-program and rework the manual for the JT cuz they were so **** the market even agreed.

manual's for life!
So is it all electronics/tuning that are causing the seemingly widespread hatred on the JL?
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote