View Single Post
Old 10-23-2023, 06:49 AM   #255
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

started in on the rear this weekend and got it almost wrapped up. as i pulled the factory bumper i was super impressed with how clean this jeep is! popped off the side plastic and ... womp. probably need to get some of those rocker armor plates to cover it.

front bumper had way easier brackets, and came pre-bent. this rear came flat and the brackets alone took as long as the entire front. seriously, between the unibody mods, fitting, and final welding, they took as long. then the bumper itself, i would never buy a flat DIY bumper ever again, the amount of extra welding and finishing is just stupid.

that said, i still really like this bumper, both Mohave from DirtBound. great fit, great structure, very little fiddling outside of getting the bends right.

FINALLY got it fully welded and started in on the finishing. randomly got shown a YouTube of different levels of weld finishing last week and that was a win. i'm pretty happy with how this is coming out!

-80grit 6" flap wheel to cut down the bulk of the welds
-80 or 100grit 5" velcro sanding disc on firm foam backed pad chucked into a drill to smooth
-120grit in a random orbital sander to finish

Last edited by 6DoF; 10-23-2023 at 06:52 AM.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote