View Single Post
Old 05-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #4
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Newest diesel I will ever ever own will be a 2007 before DPFs were a thing. Its getting harder and harder to delete them, they're getting more and more complex (outside the emissions controls, just look at the fuel and cooling systems), and the fuel economy and reliability are decreasing.

I am also now a firm believer than V8 diesels are dumb. I love my 7.3 PSD but it is the newest V8 diesel I think I will ever own. My Duramax owning friends largely hate life when it comes time to repair anything on their engines. LBZ injectors have started to show their age after 150k miles and while they are easier to change than LB7, they're more expensive. 49 state LB7s also did not have EGR which is excellent for longevity of the engines.

The Cummins is a great engine but our experience with the 3rd gen was that the rest of the truck started to deteriorate quite rapidly after 200k miles.

My next truck is going to be a 7.3 gasser from Ford.

There really isn't a correct best choice unfortunately. They all have their ups and downs. 7.3 diesel are getting harder to come by, but are probably the most reliable truck + chassis combos out there since 1999. Dodge / Ram has a great engine, but the rest of the truck is...a gamble with the age they're at now.

If I could choose anything for a diesel, it would be a Fummins of some flavor.

I like diesels

Last edited by xj_man_646; 05-28-2021 at 07:55 AM.
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote