Thread: Balancing Tires
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
This, I would put money on it the tire shop just didn't balance them properly.

Static or dynamic, it should be balance. The wheel weights on the lip of the wheels is a better balancing than the sticky weights on the inside of the wheel.

Hell, I balanced my 35" MTRs that got wheeled heavily, and got them within no more than 0.50oz per side, if not usually 0.25 or dead on 0.0.

I'd just say...lazy ass tire shop.
Did you even read the original post? It is very obviously an issue beyond a lazy tire shop . And obviously, in this case, sticky weights on the middle of the inside of the wheel wasn't worse, since it vibrated worse with the weights on the lip(s).

Quote:
Balanced tires same problem. Bought new tires same problem. Had them rebalance after a couple thousand, same problem. Had the driveshaft balanced, same. Had the tires road force balanced, same.... Finally the dealer called HQ. They said to balance the tires by putting the wheel weights down the centerline of the rim, not on inside/outside. Had this done and it solved the problem.
1) It does not seem like he was taking it to any run of the mill tire shop. A dealership should know what they're doing when it comes to these things!
2) The dealer probably lost more money in time dicking with the same vehicle coming back than they made off the original tire purchase.
3) There is no reason to believe they screwed up conventional balancing 4 times, and got it right on the first try with sticky weights.

I like diesels

Last edited by xj_man_646; 08-16-2018 at 01:16 PM.
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote