View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #1
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam
Default Overland XJ Project:

I've been looking at having some vehicles as short term rentals. Turo lets you rent out vehicles just as a vehicle rental, and there are some other sites that let you rent out campers and such.

Some of these things are pretty big money, but in purchase and in rental fees a day. I've decided I want to test the waters of this business with a low upfront cost vehicle setup.

For this I'm going to build an XJ with a Roof Top Tent and misc camping gear. The goal is to provide all the gear someone needs for an overlanding vacation in Colorado, just pick up the vehicle, stop at the grocery store, and head for the hills.

So I picked up this super clean XJ that needs a motor. Its been really really well taken care of, not a spot of rust on it, its hard to believe it has 270k on it. It has a 3-4 inch RE lift on it, a 231 with SYE, and some new stock rear springs(needs rear lift!).

I need to finish up my cousins Jeep before I tear into it:

It's making a terrible racket, I was hoping it was top end in the head, but nothing seems off in the head, so I'm thinking its a rod knock even though it sounds much higher, maybe its a problem in a piston/wrist pin? Who knock but ill figure it out when I tear down the engine and rebuild it.

Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote