Thread: JK vs. JL
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2023, 08:47 AM   #8
champ
not cool enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
What were the major downsides? Driveability programming, like Matt mentioned further down? Or mechanical differences? The cable vs. direct shift difference I know has lead to some complaints with the shifter itself.
Mechanically? I despised the shifter feel and the clutch especially. Maybe I'm just a manly man used to high HP stick cars, but the heavier clutch on the JK was far easier to drive than the feather light clutch on the JL. I believe there have been numerous problems with the pressure plate on the JL clutch and corresponding recall(s).

Drivability programming? Just one complaint that is almost impossible to avoid in modern, manual transmission, cars - rev hang. I think it was far worse than the JK. Unfortunately, I believe rev hang is going to be inherent due to emissions.

The JL steering feel, even with the steel steering box and other updates, is not as connected as any JK I've driven and far worse than my last two TJs. I don't know what FCA did to ruin on-center steering on these things, but I sure hope they don't continue the trend with any new iterations.

For overall refinement and a quieter ride, the JL does win in this category.
champ is offline   Reply With Quote