Old 03-14-2023, 01:42 PM   #11
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Why do JL clutches suck -

Drivability blows
Mechanical issues - well documented, premature clutch failure, low mileage wear on plates

Honestly, you can Google - Jeep JL Clutch Problems - and get a ton of info...my buddy had a manual JT, it was blah w/ the 3.6, and sucked as bad after his Hemi install...he sold it and bought an auto diesel - F' loves it!

Personal preference, I know...I still like manuals as well, especially in a sports car, just flat out fun. However, w/ the advancements to transmissions, the auto is not only more relaxing to drive, it shifts better, faster and has less failure rates than manuals.

To each their own...just don't buy a JL manual, even the hard core guys went the 8 speed route.
OK, I googled the clutch issues. That helped a lot, focused in on the issues. Sounds like Jeep issued a weak clutch and pressure plate and then tried to fix it with software, making driveability terrible if it thinks it's slipping. Centerforce has a replacement kit that seems to fix the hardware issue but you are still stuck with apparently frustrating factory programming.

It also looks like they recalled the 2018 to 2020 models but didn't change anything hardware wise on the newer ones, they just came with the new programming already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
Agreed on all points. I'm usually firmly in the 'buy the manual' camp, but the 8-speed ZF just out performs the manual in nearly every way.

They only way I'd buy/order a manual JL is with the optional 4.88 gears and some assurances the clutch issues have been resolved.

tl;dr: go and drive a manual JK, manual JL, and an auto JL before making up your mind on the manual.
I hate spending time at the dealer these days but that may be my best bet. See if I can find a dealer that has both a manual JK and JL on the lot.

I do have a lot of familiarity with the ZF8 speed that Mopar uses across their lineup, had one in my Ram, my current Charger, and will in the 300C as well. It's a great piece of equipment and I'm sure world changing for the Wrangler relative to the old 5 speed POS. However, I refuse for the fun vehicle to have an auto.
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote