Thread: Koh 2020
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #86
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
It's pretty fun. Rebuilding shocks is fun and really easy, just knowing what to tweak is tricky. Especially on a vehicle with awful mass ratios that sees a huge mix of uses and terrain. I did lots of research then lots of testing on my own rig. I think I've been through 4 iterations of tunes on my TJ or maybe only 3. I dunno, been a couple years and I don't have the sheets in front of me. It's still not 100% but it's night and day better than it used to be. Good enough that I haven't felt a need to tear into it in 3+ years. I've gotten some shocked thumbs up from a few long travel and sand rail guys after running with them through the dunes and across terrain that a stupid rock crawler never should have been able to do with speed.

Since doing all the work I've spent a bunch of times with a couple phenomenal tuners from AEV and Bilstein. Picked up a bunch of info from them and actually had some good feedback that helped them improve the packages we were working on too. So that was some nice validation for me to actually be helpful with the pros. After some of the testing sessions I took my TJ through some of the same stuff to see how bad it was in comparison and it was like butter. I was really happy with myself after doing that.

I used to know a dude that worked at poison spider when it was in denver. He had a TJ on coilovers and that thing drove like a dream especially compared to my Tj with f350 es3000 shocks and 2" of up travel. That was my first experience with a actually tuned suspension. I want to get to that point someday

Hell my J10 had the rear ranchos 5000 shocks on upside down in the back when I got it. I couldn't even look at speed bump without hitting my head on the ceiling, just flipping them over made a huge difference.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote