Jeepin.com Forums

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > General > NON-JEEP Auto & 4x4 tech

Old 05-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82
Default 1998 GMC Sierra Brake Bleeding? (ABS Question)

Any suggestions for bleeding the brakes on a 1998 GMC Sierra? It has the 4wheel ABS and we replaced some brake hose, the rear wheel cylinders, the front calipers and the master cylinder. Brakes work but are mushy. Is the ABS module involved at all?

Additionally, is it normal for the vacuum booster to flex a bit?
'13 Dodge Dart Limited
MBood82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
xj_man_646
Trail Guide

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Bleed it like every other vehicle? I've never had trouble with an abs rig, OBS chevs included

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudin1 View Post
If I was tanked I'd plow it. Then wake up and check for a penis, then run as fast as I could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay820
lol ive seen the chick sitting across from me's tits and she doesnt know it
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
xj_man_646
Trail Guide

How much fluid did you pump through?

Quote:
If I was tanked I'd plow it. Then wake up and check for a penis, then run as fast as I could.
Quote:
Old 05-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Bleed it like every other vehicle? I've never had trouble with an abs rig, OBS chevs included
That's what we did, it's just got a spongy pedal still. It doesn't bottom out and will engage the brakes hard enough to lock up the tires (or at least engage the ABS) but it doesn't feel right.

Quote:
How much fluid did you pump through?
That depends, do we include the amount that we ejected out of the resevior every time we forgot to put the cover back on? My helper hadn't seen that before so he forgot to put it on and I forgot to check myself so we had a number of times that it ejaculated all over the engine compartment. I think we bled through, both by gravity and pumping, more than a bottle and a half. Another bottle and a half is covering my engine compartment and hood.

I'm retarded sometimes. Not Kyle retarded but not smaht, either.
'13 Dodge Dart Limited
Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
wrath
Jeeper wannabe

Send a message via AIM to wrath

If you've only put 3 pints through, that's not nearly enough. It will probably take a quart just to do the rears and that's with competent help.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

we were using the big bottles, not the small ones. I'm terrible with units of measure though so I have no idea if they are pints or quarts. I suspect quarts.

What is it that makes it take such a high volume? We had no bubbles coming out the lines a long time before we finally gave up.
'13 Dodge Dart Limited
Old 05-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
wrath
Jeeper wannabe

Need to go fast. Meaning someone presses on the pedal hard, you open the bleeder then close it before they hit bottom. Rinse, repeat, faster than the air can go back to the high spot in the line.

1.5 quarts (3 pints) is not a lot of fluid in a system with modern ABS (has a pump in it). It's the reason pressurized bleeders were created (faster, less waste).
Old 05-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
xj_man_646
Trail Guide

spongy pedals are also nature of OBS chevys as far as I'm concerned, especially vacuum boosted ones. I can't tell you how many times I've thought that the pedal seems spongy, but the brakes all work fine. Depending on how spongy it is, it could be 'normal'

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
xj_man_646
Trail Guide

I assume you went Passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front, for the bleeding sequence? If not, I'd re-do it, in that order, making sure that you are getting good clean fluid out of each bleeder along the way. I might even go as far to say that I would bleed each corner until 1/2 the master cylinder had been pumped through, or more if the fluid continues to look dirty.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
wrath
Jeeper wannabe

It takes half a pint of fluid just to fill the line from the master to the right rear, not including the wheel cylinder and the valving/passageways in the ABS/combination valve.

Seems like on those trucks the ABS unit was on the driver's wheelhouse so it could be a chore to get any air out of it. The newer trucks aren't too bad because the unit is in front of the fuel tank.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post
Need to go fast. Meaning someone presses on the pedal hard, you open the bleeder then close it before they hit bottom. Rinse, repeat, faster than the air can go back to the high spot in the line.

1.5 quarts (3 pints) is not a lot of fluid in a system with modern ABS (has a pump in it). It's the reason pressurized bleeders were created (faster, less waste).
I'll look into having a professional do it, we were definitely not doing it fast enough before and for what it would cost to have a professional bleed it it's probably worth it. All the other work has been done.

Quote:
spongy pedals are also nature of OBS chevys as far as I'm concerned, especially vacuum boosted ones. I can't tell you how many times I've thought that the pedal seems spongy, but the brakes all work fine. Depending on how spongy it is, it could be 'normal'
I do agree with that but I am pretty sure it wasn't this spongy before we began. It's hard to tell for sure though, we fiddled with it so much and I drove the Magnum with a rock hard brake pedal in between so it might just be bad memory. I do have to put it down pretty far though to get any response so I do think it would benefit from more bleeding.

Quote:
I assume you went Passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front, for the bleeding sequence? If not, I'd re-do it, in that order, making sure that you are getting good clean fluid out of each bleeder along the way. I might even go as far to say that I would bleed each corner until 1/2 the master cylinder had been pumped through, or more if the fluid continues to look dirty.
Yes, we definitely did it in the right order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post
It takes half a pint of fluid just to fill the line from the master to the right rear, not including the wheel cylinder and the valving/passageways in the ABS/combination valve.

Seems like on those trucks the ABS unit was on the driver's wheelhouse so it could be a chore to get any air out of it. The newer trucks aren't too bad because the unit is in front of the fuel tank.
We didn't let the brake lines completely drain so I doubt we needed that much volume for that reason but I would blame inadequate pumping techniques.

It is located on the inside front fender on the drivers side, it's below the master cylinder but the lines dip below the master before they meet the ABS module so it is possible for air to be trapped and not be interested in evacuating.
'13 Dodge Dart Limited
Old 05-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
xj_man_646
Trail Guide

maybe try renting a power brake bleeder?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

I'll see what is local, I figure the chances of me screwing it up worse and being out the cost of a power bleeder versus paying a local guy a half hour of labor might lean it in the favor of paying someone.
'13 Dodge Dart Limited
Old 05-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
fuzzy
Hicksville's Hick

Send a message via AIM to fuzzy Send a message via Yahoo to fuzzy

i know it's late, but on my 90 I had to break down and get a hand pump vaccum pump to bleed them... after what seemed like hours it finally went back to the brake pedal I had known and loved.

there is something to be said for those little hand pumps.

My kids rock

RIP Tommy93zj
RIP BigNutt
RIP Chadyj92
RIP Rosa
fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

I've been keeping my eye open for one to buy/borrow but haven't looked too hard really... the brakes are functional right now, just a little spongy. Everything I have read online though at this point indicates that you really can't effectively bleed these brakes without a forced bleeding device of some sort.
'13 Dodge Dart Limited
Old 06-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #16
clairin3

Default DIY Kitchen Unit London

Go straight to www.the-kitchenfactory.co.uk and save 80% off London prices for fitted kitchens. I have absolutely no problems whatsoever in recommending this company to anyone and everyone who is looking at buying a fitted kitchen in the London area. This company charged me £2800 for my kitchen and that was including fitting and granite fitting. I got quoted £32,000 from one London kitchen company and the very best price that I got anywhere in London was £8000 for the kitchen, £2500 for the kitchen to be fitted and £2900 just for the granite to be cut. Thatís £13,400 for exactly the same as I bought from www.the-kitchenfactory.co.uk for £2800. What is it about London that makes everything so expensive? I can buy the same kind of house that I have here in London for a hundred and fifty grand in Yorkshire yet itís half a million here. Iím going to get my kitchen fitted, sell up and move up north and start living rather than just surviving.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #17
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

cool, thanks for the info
'13 Dodge Dart Limited