Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #81
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

My buddy got a new 4 runner (to him) and wanted to try and go four wheeling for the first time. We went to a trail called Rainbow falls on Sunday. Place was an absolute circus, worse than trail riding in moab back when EJS was busy.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #82
Cobound
- The Don -

That is the sad deal about things right now...people just keep piling in rather than turning around and finding something else or somewhere else to go.

I hope to see NOBODY out there when I hit the road in a week

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:46 PM   #83
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

The crazy part was all the big groups camping.

I didn't expect it to be that busy but not that surprising. Tr mountain towns and counties dont want anybody visiting. Plus all the high country trails are still closed with snow. The other major area for side by sides and dort bikes is closed for mud season. So trail choice is lowish, plus everybody getting cabin fever
Old 05-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #84
Hoofmann
AKA: Kebo

I am finally getting around to finishing all the crap I listed. I've spent the last two Saturdays at my friend's garage, fabricating and wrenching. I hope to have this thing ready for more 4x4ing soon.

My tires are getting pretty bald. I would love to step up to some 40s, but there are some other upgrades I would like to do before then. Mainly, I'm still running a spool in the rear. I street the Jeep all too much for a spool or even an automatic locker. I think the next chunk of change will be spent on an ARB for the rear in order to save tires some.
Hoofmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:43 PM   #85
Cobound
- The Don -

Stimulate the economy with your stimulus check already!

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 05-08-2020, 11:29 AM   #86
Hoofmann

Man, it was really hard not to pull the trigger on an ARB/compressor when it came through. I'm saving it, though, because I would like to wait until they do one of those deals where they'll throw in the free compressor.

I'm ready for an ARB and I'm curious to see what my gears look like, as I have nearly 10k miles on them now and they were set up by me.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #87
freerider15
shoplifter fail

Send a message via AIM to freerider15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofmann View Post
Man, it was really hard not to pull the trigger on an ARB/compressor when it came through. I'm saving it, though, because I would like to wait until they do one of those deals where they'll throw in the free compressor.

I'm ready for an ARB and I'm curious to see what my gears look like, as I have nearly 10k miles on them now and they were set up by me.
Well if they haven't gone boom yet, you're pretty safe I'd say

Even if they didn't look perfect, can't change them now anyhow.

Yeah, I'd wait until the free compressor deal as well.
freerider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #88
Hoofmann

Well thanks to Justin, who alerted me on the moving sale at East Coast Gear Supply, I just dropped the money on an ARB and all of the accessories for my 14 bolt, including an ARB air compressor and tank.

Giggidy.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:23 AM   #89
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

hell yeah!!

i'm super excited to try the ARB on the trail, i've never run selectable before.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #90
Cobound
- The Don -

Yeah, ARB are the shiz, have had them in a couple vehicles now.

I have the twin compressor in my JK, but I use CO2 to run the locker...the twin compressor and the Monster Valves are a pretty fast filler for my 40s.

You'll be tickled w/ them..nothing like flipping the switch and locked, out of the mess and another flip and you're steering freely!!

Enjoy!

Old 05-18-2020, 09:49 PM   #91
Hoofmann

Now that I have one, I’m curious how much I’ll actually use it. One, because I have a Detroit in the front and I bet most of the time I won’t even need to lock the rear. Also, do people just turn them on once they get to the trailhead or is it a constant on/off ordeal based on how tough the section is that you’re about to attempt? I guess I’m wondering if it’s at all hard on the locking mechanism to be locked/unlocked regularly. This is all about to be new to me. I can’t wait to get it in and try everything out.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:09 PM   #92
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

When I had arbs front and rear back in the day. I would lock the rear when I started wheeling. Would lock the front when I needed it.

I have an Eaton e locker in the front now and just lock it when I needed it. After having both I really like the e locker.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:13 AM   #93
6DoF

my plan is to leave them open until i get to a worthy obstacle, lock both in, then unlock as needed to maneuver/dig. but we'll see if that plan changes as i learn this new config.

currently running a DeWALT 60V compressor ratchet strapped in the back
Old 05-19-2020, 01:21 PM   #94
Hoofmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
currently running a DeWALT 60V compressor ratchet strapped in the back
This makes me laugh. It’s only stupid if it doesn’t work.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:55 PM   #95
Cobound
- The Don -

Depends on terrain...Moab, open until I get to an obstacle that requires them. It’s so sticky out there that 2wd or basic 4wd are usually enough. But both help when needed, or when you simply want NO struggle!

CO, it gets slick n wet, use them when I need them, which is more regularly than in Moab.

Bottom line, I flip them on and off all the time, because turning is so much easier with them off... just so damn handy.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:35 AM   #96
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Depends on terrain...Moab, open until I get to an obstacle that requires them. It’s so sticky out there that 2wd or basic 4wd are usually enough. But both help when needed, or when you simply want NO struggle!

CO, it gets slick n wet, use them when I need them, which is more regularly than in Moab.

Bottom line, I flip them on and off all the time, because turning is so much easier with them off... just so damn handy.
to be fair ... you also wheel a school bus
Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #97
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Quote:
Well thanks to Justin, who alerted me on the moving sale at East Coast Gear Supply, I just dropped the money on an ARB and all of the accessories for my 14 bolt, including an ARB air compressor and tank.

Giggidy.

Why not an Eaton Elocker?
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #98
Hoofmann

Not available for a 14 bolt.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #99
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Quote:
Not available for a 14 bolt.
As in ECG didn't have it in stock, or that your particular flavor of 14bolt doesn't have one available?

I do know there are eaton Elockers for some 14bolts, but with enough variations........
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #100
Blue XJ

Send a message via AIM to Blue XJ

I used to lock the rear most of the time and leave the front open. Then when it looked like I would need it, or when I did need it, I would lock in the front. I rebuilt the front one a few times, they are pretty basic inside, I wouldn't worry about their robustness in terms of repeated lock/unlock.
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote