Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Tow Rig Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2023, 03:35 PM   #141
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Now, the question would be how does that info above compare to an OEM clutch and the recommendations in an owner's manual? . Genuinely curious as I've seen OEM clutches last a long time.

I can't see ever wanting to haul a loaded trailer without engine braking, especially on hills. Eff that noise.

I like diesels

Last edited by xj_man_646; 01-17-2023 at 03:37 PM.
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:38 PM   #142
xj_man_646

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
so i got to thinking the other day about my low end power issue ... it might not just be from super lag turbo's. i really need to verify where they set the timing, and with the rest of the build being very dyno number oriented, i bet it's way too high.
What is your experience with a 12v?

They are gutless in OEM form.

I can't imagine how they would be before turbo spool in a compound application. Are both your turbos larger than the stock 12v unit?

I like diesels
Old 01-24-2023, 07:46 AM   #143
Baby peez

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
I can't see ever wanting to haul a loaded trailer without engine braking, especially on hills. Eff that noise.
yup, at that point a big block gasser is starting to be in consideration
Baby peez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:33 AM   #144
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

ya know ... i was thinking the same and was somewhat worried about that. i actually have an exhaust brake on my bench that i got for the 55, but will be installing on Hank eventually. i've not towed a ton, but multiple trips with the enclosed loaded with the YJ and i've never thought i was anywhere near the edge without one. PA turnpike mountains, up n down the goat paths getting to the trails, all reasonable. the enclosed does have pretty good brakes though.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:15 AM   #145
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

I’ve had a bad experience with Valair (Sp?) clutches. We put one in a customer truck, they picked the dual disc performance clutch. He used it to tow trailers etc and it sucked there was zero clutch slip, just grab and go. We swapped it out for there daily driver dual disc and while it was better it still wasn’t something I’d want in a truck that I pulled a trailer with. That is my only experience with them and it was a bad one with wrong parts selected so take it with a grain of salt.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:32 PM   #146
6DoF

yeah, lots of ppl can't deal with a tight clutch. i think it's weird that Valair specs the towing or daily dual disc for even an otherwise stock truck when towing, just not enough torque to slip it. on the other hand, i love a tight clutch and everything i own gets a ceramic puck set up. hank with 10,000lbs in tow can easily make RPM thru the current SB daily dual while letting it out. preference vs horse-torques vs driver preference
Old 02-23-2023, 10:38 AM   #147
6DoF

it has begun! G360 is out, i am now on the "always swap it out" bandwagon. sure it can be fixed, but parts aren't available any more. she's being sold for parts if anyone wants it. check out the breakage though, how do you explode a synchro collar!?!? that would explain why i suddenly had zero synchro in 2nd only thing i can figure is it was damaged when the rear input bearing exploded and i missed the cracks. would also explain the non-engagement in the 1st rebuild.

i was going to give my buddy the clutch since it was a SB dual disc with life left on the frictions ... but it would seam that's not really going to work. the dampers are old enough they have become brittle and are shattering. one is completely missing from the other disc. the hot spots have also been there long enough to be smooth :LOL:

Old 02-23-2023, 10:42 AM   #148
6DoF

so into the actual 5600 swap. after riding with a buddy who had a 5600 truck, I'm starting to get excited for this.

first things first, new engine mounts to make sure the engine is in the right place before i build a trans mount. obviously needed anyways though, engine picked up almost 1/2". while things were apart i also did a rear main seal.

got the 2ng gen trans adapter on there easy enough, but the 2nd gen starter does hit the frame. now i have the back of the engine jacked up n held higher at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I'll need to add some clearance in there. new Valair street dual disc, everything about it just seams better than the SB. design, not old vs new.

didn't get a picture, but beat the pinch seam up flat to the body for bell clearance.

i was pretty sure the 5600 was longer from my research, but it's not all that different. also excited to be able to use the clocking ring now that I'm making a crossmember and get the front shaft angles way better. i bet the bell height is still the same or better :LOL:

nv5600 vs G360:
(from bell housing, just realizing i didn't measure the trans adapter thickness)
-5.5" longer with clocking ring (5-1/8" longer without)
-shifter is only 2.25" further back

*EDIT: trans adapters ... 1.125" longer for the 2nd gen. (2nd Gen: 2-3/8" ; 1st Gen: 1-1/4")

so this means my t-case actually moves back 6-5/8". The shifter moves back 3-3/8"

Last edited by 6DoF; 02-27-2023 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:58 AM   #149
xj_man_646

Nice progress so far. What do you have for a trans jack?

I like diesels
Old 02-23-2023, 12:01 PM   #150
6DoF

right now i have a HF trans jack adapter welded onto an old floor jack ... but i'm seriously considering getting a new HF wide base jack for this heavy beast.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:50 PM   #151
Hoofmann
AKA: Kebo

I’d say this is the transmission that should be in a 12 valve with compound turbos. I wouldn’t trust anything besides an NV5600 or a ZF6. I guess the NV4500 would work, but that pesky 5th gear issue is just a bummer.
Hoofmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:10 AM   #152
xj_man_646

I wish the ZF-6 would have been used across the board. Its very rare that I hear about any issues with that transmission.

Until this thread I honestly didn't know you could still get parts for the NV5600. It went out of use (in the Dodge trucks anyway) 20 years ago!

I like diesels
Old 02-27-2023, 06:43 AM   #153
6DoF

[QUOTE=Hoofmann;83743]I
Old 02-27-2023, 06:43 AM   #154
6DoF

[QUOTE=Hoofmann;83743]Id say this is the transmission that should be in a 12 valve with compound turbos. I wouldn
Old 02-27-2023, 06:45 AM   #155
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofmann View Post
Id say this is the transmission that should be in a 12 valve with compound turbos. I wouldnt trust anything besides an NV5600 or a ZF6. I guess the NV4500 would work, but that pesky 5th gear issue is just a bummer.
the 4500 and the G360 that just came out are basically equal in strength, Dodge only switched cuz the 4500 is cheaper to make. the 4500 however still has all the parts to buy.

and the 5th gear nut is an easy fix with the locks available now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
I wish the ZF-6 would have been used across the board. Its very rare that I hear about any issues with that transmission.

Until this thread I honestly didn't know you could still get parts for the NV5600. It went out of use (in the Dodge trucks anyway) 20 years ago!
agreed, i think the ZF6 would be just a TINY bit better of a trans than the 5600.

there are lots of guys who use the 5600 for crazy power applications cuz the aluminum case of the G56 deflects too much. They even sell an exoskeleton stiffener!

Old 02-27-2023, 06:46 AM   #156
6DoF

no clue why, but it's the ' that makes the quotes fail ... i had to change "I'd" to Id and wouldn't to wouldnt in the quote before it would work.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:51 AM   #157
6DoF

so trans adapters ... 1.125" longer for the 2nd gen.

2nd Gen: 2-3/8"
1st Gen: 1-1/4"

so this means my t-case actually moves back 6-5/8"
The shifter moves back 3-3/8"
Old 02-27-2023, 06:59 AM   #158
6DoF

first things things first, making the NP205 bolt to the NV5600. most ppl just remove the rear seal from the 5600 and let the void between trans and t-case fill with fluid. we can do better.

i put a rag over the 205 input and tapped the input collar over it to hold steady. then had the wife run the 205 output with a drill so that i could grind the end of the collar to 2.0" like a fancy little lathe. polished it a bit, and she slips right in.

my only concern is the striations from the grinder that are still there after polishing are going the wrong direction to wipe fluid back into the case. they might actually pull fluid thru the seal. i guess we'll find out, and i can have a machinist do the other side of the collar if needed.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:09 AM   #159
6DoF

next i got distracted and made a shift knob adapter. M10x1.5 to 1/2-13. this puts the EATON shifter on my 5600 short-shift stick, and gives me 2 air switches on the knob. one is for exhaust brake for sure, but not sure on the 2nd. front locker? air horn?

Old 02-27-2023, 07:27 AM   #160
6DoF

now onto the good stuff! first trans stab complete and it looks like everything is going to fit really nice! new trans jack from HF is also really good. dual axis tilt on the head, goes higher and lower than my welded junk i had been using, nice stable base, the damn thing even weighs more than the 5spd did. all win. plus now i can cut the adapter off the other and have a standard floor jack back.

started by finding the CG of the 5600/205 for best placement on the jack. worked out nice at the seam in the rear case. made manipulation under the truck way easier having that set middle of the jack pad. plus now i can pull/stab it all together and not have to pull the 205 under the truck. that thing is heavy enough to require the trans jack by itself. hell, i can even leave the t-case shifters on while pulling it now.

before the stabbing i started a base for the 205 twin stick shifters, just waiting on the shifter kit to start modifying those parts onto my bracket. was expected Friday, but it appears to be lost now ... at least i could finish the rest easy enough in the truck while this bracket really needed done on the bench.

LIFT YOUR TRUCK! cuz then you can slid the trans under without jacking it up