Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Tow Rig Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2021, 06:34 AM   #1
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Default Project: PolarRAM

well, it's been a good long run, but my 2008 GMC has been around 11 years. i made it thru the payments, thru the wear items going bad, and am now firmly in the "stupid broken **** again" age. i ran it hard and put it away wet, never really kept it clean, she lived outside, etc. she's still doing good, but it's time to move her along before it's just not worth anything.

so used trucks kinda suck from when they were figuring out computers, the newest generations are sooooo much better. the late model used/new market is just beyond stupid right now, and i suspect that won't change any time soon. so that leaves old trucks, and i love old trucks. seams reasonable to replace my old, high mileage truck with something older, and even higher miles right? yup!

the 55 is coming along, but i will need time to trust it before i can tow across the state. my trust in the GMC is going away quicker than the 55's will grow. it's also a regular cab and short inside, i wish i had the body skills to stretch the cab. it's also a no-salt project rig, need a winter/back-up tow rig. why have one new when you can have a few old for the same money?!?!?! need something that'll tow the enclosed with my YJ, something 4x4, something not regular cab cuz i'm tall and need more room. but also something that isn't a 4dr long bed with a school bus wheelbase.

SO ... 1st Gen Cummins Ram Club Cab. was looking for something bone-stock and preferably a W350 12v 5spd 4x4 drw, but they just are stupid rare for sale. a number of 4x2, but the 4x4 are being horded. found this W250 though! she's a lot more built up than i was looking for, but quite clean.

made a deal and flying down to Glufport, MS next Thursday with the wife. buying it Friday morning, then driving to Nashville to spend 2 nights for a mini-vacation, and drive home sunday. wish me luck!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...rral_code=null

Last edited by 6DoF; 11-03-2021 at 01:14 PM.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #2
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

That thing looks nice! And much of the work looks to be the stuff you want done, not typical diesel bro mods. Crossover steering alone is a nice upgrade.

The fact that it also makes nice power is icing on the cake.
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #3
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Sweet truck for sure.

I considered a 1st gen as a DD / tow rig exactly one time . The fact that this one actually has power is a huge step in the right direction though.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #4
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
That thing looks nice! And much of the work looks to be the stuff you want done, not typical diesel bro mods. Crossover steering alone is a nice upgrade.

The fact that it also makes nice power is icing on the cake.
i've seen some other sketchy crossover, i like this kit. it also has a full steering box brace already. good traction bars, good fueling upgrades, 2nd fuel tank in place of the spare tire, etc.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:41 AM   #5
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Sweet truck for sure.

I considered a 1st gen as a DD / tow rig exactly one time . The fact that this one actually has power is a huge step in the right direction though.
it's kind of tuned for a dyno however, so it's smokey until the PSI's kick in he said. i want nothing to do with driving a smokey truck. specially if it's fogging my pretty white trailer, so that'll need addressed.

i've been researching and learning P7100 tuning ... time to shift gears n learn the VE
Old 11-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
xj_man_646

VE tuning is a bit easier IIRC...turn the screw

With enough fuel to support compounds on the top end, I think you will be battling smoke on the bottom regardless of what you do, depending on the smaller turbo. 60mm isn't huge but I do not know what stock VE pump 12vs came with either.

I like diesels
Old 11-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #7
xj_man_646

Also get ready to ditch those traction bars. That's the style that a lot of diesel bros like to run, but doesn't allow for any change in arc length with suspension travel. A friend of mine used to sell those to the local diesel kids and said they ride like trash because of it.

I like diesels
Old 11-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #8
6DoF

Quote:
Also get ready to ditch those traction bars. That's the style that a lot of diesel bros like to run, but doesn't allow for any change in arc length with suspension travel. A friend of mine used to sell those to the local diesel kids and said they ride like trash because of it.
i've been curious of that too

i'm also thinking there's a chance i ditch the 4" block. we'll see how it goes
Old 11-03-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
xj_man_646

The 4" block might be factory. From what I can see, you'd probably be squat truck mode if you did that. Unless you're trying to lower the whole thing.

I like diesels
Old 11-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #10
6DoF

Quote:
The 4" block might be factory. From what I can see, you'd probably be squat truck mode if you did that. Unless you're trying to lower the whole thing.
agreed, i would assume the 4" block is factory too. it has a 6" front spring though, so i could lower that some. even use a 2" block instead might be nice. i'm not a block fan at all though, even if factory.
maybe ditch the block and coble a factory pack with the 6" pack to make a 2" front? ... who knows. we'll see. i have to drive it for a while before messing with it to get the big parts of the 55 bolted together.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #11
xj_man_646

I'm assuming you'd need to step down a tire size if you lower the front much?

I wonder if a shackle flip is an option to maintain some height and ditch the blocks. The part I do appreciate about blocks is that they don't change the spring rate / ride quality.

I like diesels
Old 11-03-2021, 01:06 PM   #12
Hoofmann
AKA: Kebo

Oh my god. I’m jealous.
Hoofmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:42 PM   #13
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

300k miles, rusty floors 20k...
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #14
xj_man_646

That's where my mind went.

But...it doesn't seem absurd given the 1st gen market, and the used truck market in general.

The dealer my dad bought his 2020 Raptor from for 55k, bought it back earlier this year for 70k

I like diesels
Old 11-05-2021, 10:31 AM   #15
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
300k miles, rusty floors 20k...
at this age the miles don't matter to me, just the maintenance.

and that one spot is the ONLY spot of rust from a leaking heater core, super easy fix non-issue. the rest of the truck, as far as i can tell, is SUPID clean
Old 11-05-2021, 10:33 AM   #16
6DoF

so we agreed on $18k, and yeah it was more than i wanted to pay for sure. i was shooting for 15 even on this one at the moment. But after a few months of looking this was by far the closes to the pin for what i want and the most reasonable price. there is similar stuff listed for $27k without the minor to-do list this one has. they seam to be selling, even the rusty junk, for good money.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #17
xj_man_646

How do the Getrags hold up with compound turbo power long term?

I like diesels
Old 11-08-2021, 07:56 AM   #18
6DoF

Quote:
How do the Getrags hold up with compound turbo power long term?
from my research, every time someone swaps a ragged out getrag for a brand new or rebuild 4500 "IT SHIFTS SO MUCH BETTER!!" well no ****.

anyone who drives douchey enough to break a getrag behind a stock 12v can break a 5600 behind a stock cummins too. basically a little extra fluid helps get to the input bearing for lub, and PTO cover fluid coolers help keep the temps down while under extended load, then don't tow under 1800rpm to keep the gear chatter down.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:34 AM   #19
6DoF

WE MADE IT HOME!

what an adventure that was. Flew down Thursday night late, both dead when we got the hotel, i couldn't sleep like it was Christmas eve as a kid. he picked us up first thing in the AM, truck was as-advertised, so off we went. bank for the deposit and notary, then back to his house to drop him off. he sold this cuz he got a new daily, a TRX! i demanded a ride before we left

were 5miles from the coast, so we drove down for lunch on the beach. pan fried grouper taco :drool: walked the beach for a few minutes, toes in the Gulf, and then headed north. 500miles the first day was basically uneventful and pleasant. though, the wife did use my noise canceling over-ear headphone the whole ride stopped Friday night in Nashville, and spent Saturday looking around.

Day 2: breakfast on Broadway, live music, tchotchke shops, etc. even taco bell was bad ass! the tours of drunks at 11am were the best though, holy hell. tractor pulled hay rides, monster truck rides in the city, you name it. city ppl who came to the city to party like it's the country! toured the crazy opry hotel before going to the opry for the Saturday night show. best part was Billy Ray Cyrus singing Achy Breaky live!

Day 3: headed home, 575mi, again was uneventful for the truck. got a clicking in the steering when not moving, but was just a loose aftermarket box brace. and no heater still. left early and stopped into the Corvette Museum at opening. totally worth stopping, but can't say i'd have driven there just for that. everything was great until it got cold, rainy, and even snowed. as the sun set the cab stopped holding heat and the windows started to fog up on us. i kept running the defrost to wash the warmer moist air out so i could see, but this froze the wife. she had the DeWalt heated jacket on, hat n gloves, like 4 pairs of socks (one mine), then my spare jeans over her yoga pants, all wrapped in a sweater, still wearing my noise canceling headphones over her hears. on a scale of 1-10, loving it to tuck n roll jumping out the window in front of traffic ... she was about a 9 for the last 3h.

but we made! what an awesome adventure of a weekend!

Old 11-15-2021, 11:25 AM   #20
xj_man_646

When I went to look at the 1st gen I considered buying, it was cold (pre-winter, but cold)...the guy just straight up removed the mechanical cooling fan as he claimed the truck never heated up in winter .

Would the engine build enough heat but the cab heat needs attention?

I like diesels