Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2020, 11:44 AM   #1
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82
Default Let the drooling begin...

I've long said I won't buy a new Jeep because I'm a child and require a V8 noise.

And then they do this:

https://jalopnik.com/jeep-grabs-the-...ran-1844347993
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
champ
not cool enough

If the teaser is to be believed, then I wonder what they're doing to make it pass crash test standards?
champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
Dennis
Semper Fi !

I need that because I don't get pulled over enough....
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
If the teaser is to be believed, then I wonder what they're doing to make it pass crash test standards?
I'm wondering if it is a Jeep from the canceled EJS this year that they are going to "unveil" at the same time as the Bronco to try to steal the thunder. They are definitely doing it in response to the Bronco, my question is how serious they are.

If it's an EJS toy, then crash test standards don't matter.

If it is real (and god does my childlike nature want it to be!) then I'm sure they'll find a way. After all, FCA are experts on putting big V8s everywhere!
Old 07-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #5
champ
not cool enough

Man... if they can pull it off, then I have just one thing to say:

Old 07-13-2020, 06:26 AM   #6
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

if it's just another "sandstorm" concept, then FUKK YOU JEEP.

if it's real ... they have probably been holding off on the V8 wrangler for like 15 years waiting for the actual bronco launch to do it. they weren't exactly loosing sales without it, and now that Furd said they won't have one ... BOOM.

but yeah, i'm with the rest of ya. sure there were aspects that need fixed before i could drive one even occasionally, that 2wk rental pointed out a bunch. but a 392 JT? where's my order card!
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:28 AM   #7
6DoF

Quote:
they could say it never passed ... having never tested it. would have been a good marketing strategy!
Old 07-13-2020, 07:45 AM   #8
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Quote:
Is there a reason to believe the change from v6 to v8 is enough, that it would fail? Honestly don't know...but I'm sure they could figure it out. Wrangler's aren't exactly the safest rigs out there but they still are able to remove the top and doors.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:57 AM   #9
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Front end crash test needs to be done to show the engine won't enter the passenger compartment. I don't think anything else needs to be done for an engine change. Still a million bucks or so towards development costs.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #10
champ
not cool enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Is there a reason to believe the change from v6 to v8 is enough, that it would fail? Honestly don't know...but I'm sure they could figure it out. Wrangler's aren't exactly the safest rigs out there but they still are able to remove the top and doors.
Ignore Hellcat engine part of topic and I refer you to this: Linky

This is the important part:

Quote:
Kuniskis also watered-down any possibility of high-performance versions of the Wrangler and Gladiator, potentially powered by the company’s fire-breathing Hellcat supercharged V8.

“Everybody always asks me that question: it fits. You know that. It fits like a glove,” he said.

“But the problem is that it fits like a glove and there is no air space around the engine and the whole external space of the vehicle so you have no crush space; you have nothing that can be used to absorb energy in a crash.

“It is not a problem to put it in - other than emissions and fuel economy - except it would never pass any crash tests, and that’s a problem.”
Old 07-13-2020, 09:50 AM   #11
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Still a million bucks or so towards development costs.
this is exactly why i figure they never did it. the cost was never worth the return. now however, you can justify buku bucks for marketing and over shadowing a direct competitors launch.

just because it'll never pass in the current form, doesn't mean some good engineering can't make it work. it's exactly what they did with the cooling n such on the max-tow of the gladiator. detail the engineering!

Last edited by 6DoF; 07-13-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #12
6DoF

https://www.motor1.com/news/433659/j...n-392-concept/

Old 07-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #13
6DoF

i freaking love that hard top
Old 07-13-2020, 12:32 PM   #14
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

If that comes out as they show it, and the price is not completely unreasonable, it would definitely be something I'd be in the market for. I'd even be happy with 34s factory instead of 37s if it allows them to be more in line with a Rubicon (or even Sport, if we are lucky) price level with a typical Hemi surcharge. I worry they'd only make it available on the Rubicon and higher levels though, and price it like an SRT upgrade.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #15
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
If that comes out as they show it, and the price is not completely unreasonable, it would definitely be something I'd be in the market for. I'd even be happy with 34s factory instead of 37s if it allows them to be more in line with a Rubicon (or even Sport, if we are lucky) price level with a typical Hemi surcharge. I worry they'd only make it available on the Rubicon and higher levels though, and price it like an SRT upgrade.
I am afraid they would go with a street themed drag strip monster, like the mentioned SRT or going back to the 5.9 ZJ. Make the engine available across the lineup, even if the lower end has to be special ordered.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #16
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

The one thing I'm fairly confident in is they won't go with street performance, they already have the Grand Cherokee for that and the Wrangler would be completely the wrong platform for it.

I could see trail running maybe as a theme over hard core rock crawling, or even overlanding, but so far what they have announced is fairly generic, just "big engine in same vehicle otherwise".
Old 07-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #17
Cobound
- The Don -

Ain't ever gonna happen.

Can't believe nobody is talking bout those half doors, mother of pearl, those are pimp!!!

Yes, that top is sweet, a buddy has one and it's tits!!

I'm guessing this is a holdover from EJS that never got shared cuz it was cancelled...I could see it possibly going into a Gladiator, but not a JL.

This would KILL the aftermarket companies...they'd go from 100 mph now to a dead stop, and have to find a way to do it cheaper. While I thought these would likely be in the SRT8 category of price range, I'd guess now they could do it like the diesels, and you'd be looking at $60-70k...and not in any sort of stripped down model, it'd be a special edition.

That said, I'll be all those companies are pissed right now, too...cuz anyone on the fence with an install is going to stall, wait and see...if you think Brute Double Cab build value dropped, imagine what someone w/ a $100k Jeep is thinking now if they actually do this...LOL, but it won't happen.

Meh, as much as I'd drool for it to happen, no sense getting wound up until I know it is true. My JT would be for sale day one tho

Check it out: https://youtu.be/UpRnMBvdoBQ

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #18
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
If that Jeep comes out, with that engine note... it will be VERY hard for me to not trade in my Charger at the end of the lease for one of them...
Old 07-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #19
myjeepsbigger
~ Jitterbug ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Ain't ever gonna happen.

Can't believe nobody is talking bout those half doors, mother of pearl, those are pimp!!!

Yes, that top is sweet, a buddy has one and it's tits!!

I'm guessing this is a holdover from EJS that never got shared cuz it was cancelled...I could see it possibly going into a Gladiator, but not a JL.

This would KILL the aftermarket companies...they'd go from 100 mph now to a dead stop, and have to find a way to do it cheaper. While I thought these would likely be in the SRT8 category of price range, I'd guess now they could do it like the diesels, and you'd be looking at $60-70k...and not in any sort of stripped down model, it'd be a special edition.

That said, I'll be all those companies are pissed right now, too...cuz anyone on the fence with an install is going to stall, wait and see...if you think Brute Double Cab build value dropped, imagine what someone w/ a $100k Jeep is thinking now if they actually do this...LOL, but it won't happen.

Meh, as much as I'd drool for it to happen, no sense getting wound up until I know it is true. My JT would be for sale day one tho

Check it out: https://youtu.be/UpRnMBvdoBQ
I bet $70k would be absolute minimum for a loaded Rubicon V8. Our 17 listed for over $50, and it's pretty easy to build a $60k Rubicon JLU now.
myjeepsbigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:57 PM   #20
Cobound
- The Don -

Oh, absolutely...what I’m saying is, it’ll be priced at SRT8 prices, or brought down to the Ram and diesel prices...it’s doable, just think it won’t happen.

I mean, a loaded JT Rubi is $60k, but that engine is more affordable than the aftermarket makes it seem.

Fine line... but they would COMPLETELY CANNIBALIZE their 1500 market!!

Just funny see it happening... other than being able to get more for a JT than a Ram

I’m in line!!

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote