Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #21
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Jeep built the TJ unlimited for far less than the AEV. Mercedes sold the G-Wagen for half what Europa imports had been selling them.

If they want, they can sell a V8 Wrangler/Gladiator for under $60K with options that bring them over $80k. We shall have to wait and see.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #22
freerider15
shoplifter fail

Send a message via AIM to freerider15

OH EM GEEE...a Jeep with a V8!!!!1!!

...snooooore.
freerider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:33 PM   #23
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
OH EM GEEE...a Jeep with a V8!!!!1!!

...snooooore.

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #24
Cobound
- The Don -

https://moparinsiders.com/if-jeep-ca...with-the-1500/

The signs sure seem to be pointing to them doing this

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #25
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

It's a done deal for sure, either that or it's the best con game they could play on Ford.
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:53 AM   #26
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

every car blog on the planet is basically just waiting on the price now.

as am i.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #27
freerider15
shoplifter fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post

as am i.
I'll take "What will be overpriced and have issues off the bat for $500 Alex"
Old 08-04-2020, 05:32 PM   #28
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
It's a done deal for sure, either that or it's the best con game they could play on Ford.
RIGHT!!! After so many years of hearing "it won't happen" over and over again....man, I'm skeptical.

Quote:

as am i.
Ditto...f'n ditto!!

Quote:

Honestly, it's GOT to put a damper on some of these companies already installing them...people on the fence are straight up halting their plans. Gonna have to wait and see...as much as I want one I won't be doing another swap, I'll take a factory one and pay for it.

Kinda curious how much AEV may know (HEY, Sean!) about it...I mean, they not only stopped installing the Hemis (at least I think), they stopped building the BDC prior to the JT coming out...makes ya wonder!

Dammit...I want to know what they'll cost. You KNOW they won't be cheap...and MF be too expensive for me

Have a buddy that just bought one with a 5.7 from Dakota Customs...Sting Grey, too, man...so jeally. Hasn't been delivered yet but he already has parts sitting in his garage to start the build

Old 08-05-2020, 07:53 AM   #29
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Quote:
Pretty much every new car is overpriced these days. I also will never own the first model year of any major update / new model. I let the OEMs get the first couple years out of the way...by then they've (usually) worked out the bugs and the cost-down work is just beginning.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #30
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Pretty much every new car is overpriced these days. I also will never own the first model year of any major update / new model. I let the OEMs get the first couple years out of the way...by then they've (usually) worked out the bugs and the cost-down work is just beginning.
https://www.investopedia.com/financi...e-of-cars.aspx

Agree 100% on not getting the first year model. In the last 30 years the family got burned on a first year 1994 C-Class Mercedes and a 1999.5 Jetta. Even the Germans have issues.

But, cars when compared to inflation, and excluding the exotics of the sports and luxury car world, have significantly decreased in real costs over the years.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #31
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Its not just inflation, development costs and complexity have also skyrocketed in the last 15 years, especially on diesel engine equipped vehicles. The high output Cummins diesel option is now 11,995 alone. The MSRP of the whole truck my dad bought in 2004 was under 45k. He was out the door for under 30k (it was a 2003).

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #32
freerider15
shoplifter fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Some yes, and some no. Are they a lot more expensive than they were 20 years ago? Yup. Adding inflation and new amenities, crash test standards and safer cars, more power and generally better economy are they? Not so much.

Heavily depends on what you're in the market for.

A light duty truck? Yeah...they'll take you to the cleaners.

A nice (not luxury) sedan for getting around daily? Very reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post

Honestly, it's GOT to put a damper on some of these companies already installing them...people on the fence are straight up halting their plans. Gonna have to wait and see...as much as I want one I won't be doing another swap, I'll take a factory one and pay for it.
Well we know one from the factory will be a hell of a lot cheaper than getting one custom installed by any company. I don't see it being $25k for the V8 option, but not sure how much less they'll price point it at.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #33
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:

Well we know one from the factory will be a hell of a lot cheaper than getting one custom installed by any company. I don't see it being $25k for the V8 option, but not sure how much less they'll price point it at.
Yup

These were a heck of a lot more expensive than the TJ-Unlimiteds that followed them.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #34
Cobound
- The Don -

But also didn't come w/ a V8 from the factory

Old 08-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #35
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
But also didn't come w/ a V8 from the factory
True, no CJ/Wrangler has had that option since 1986. My point is taking an aftermarket OEM quality expensive mod, then the OEM doing it in factory for a fraction of the cost.

Sort of like Europa Imports out in New Mexico importing and federalizing G-Wagens from the early 80s until Mercedes started importing them directly and cutting the cost in half.

How much will a factory V8 effect the values of the older AEV conversions?
Old 08-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #36
Cobound
- The Don -

Yeah, I knew what you meant

Wish Jeep had not only built them sooner, built them longer...'04-06 is not enough time to get a good clean affordable one in today's market.

And the AEV versions are still incredibly high priced!

Old 08-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #37
freerider15
shoplifter fail

Quote:
Yeah, I knew what you meant

Wish Jeep had not only built them sooner, built them longer...'04-06 is not enough time to get a good clean affordable one in today's market.

And the AEV versions are still incredibly high priced!
It comes down to simply...why?

Other than a likely small margin, I would be surprised if the actual market of buyers is worth the investment in configuration, tooling, etc. etc. etc.

No one is taking their JL/JT's to the track, or really doing massive towing with them.

It comes down to "having it". Unless you're rolling on tons and large tires...the extra power at some point starts to become moot.

What they need to do, is offer better six cylinder options overall...but even then, we're talking a small minority that even care THAT much.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:28 AM   #38
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
It comes down to simply...why?

Other than a likely small margin, I would be surprised if the actual market of buyers is worth the investment in configuration, tooling, etc. etc. etc.

No one is taking their JL/JT's to the track, or really doing massive towing with them.

It comes down to "having it". Unless you're rolling on tons and large tires...the extra power at some point starts to become moot.

What they need to do, is offer better six cylinder options overall...but even then, we're talking a small minority that even care THAT much.
i mean ... if "just to have it, cuz no one needs it", was really an argument ... why do we have any options at all? if that argument was true then we'd have no AC, no radio, no heated seats, and those are now standard on stuff.

this nation is gluttonous in their willingness to pay for "wants", god bless America.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #39
freerider15
shoplifter fail

Quote:
i mean ... if "just to have it, cuz no one needs it", was really an argument ... why do we have any options at all? if that argument was true then we'd have no AC, no radio, no heated seats, and those are now standard on stuff.

this nation is gluttonous in their willingness to pay for "wants", god bless America.
But it has all of that.

I go back to...as an OEM...is it even WORTH it to consider. This is why we've likely seen "concept" after "concept" and no real from the factory option.

This isn't a newer charger with V6 vs. V8 option.

It's a 4x4 yuppie wagon that most soccer moms a mall crawler bros don't really need nor will they care to pay extra (depending on how much extra) for the higher HP (though I recognize I could be 100% wrong).

The 392 is supposed to be ~450HP....cool.

All three 2020 options for the JL are right at 260/270HP.

How about...GASP...a more modern powerful V6?

Plenty of V6's out there putting out 350+ HP. But, I guess some people won't feel important enough unless it's got them thurr two extra cylindurs YEE YEE!
Old 08-07-2020, 12:19 PM   #40
myjeepsbigger
~ Jitterbug ~

Quote:

How about...GASP...a more modern powerful V6?

Plenty of V6's out there putting out 350+ HP. But, I guess some people won't feel important enough unless it's got them thurr two extra cylindurs YEE YEE!
It's has to have the V8 sound, too. Because it's like having a really hot girlfriend with a terrible screechy voice. Yeah, she feels good, you just don't want anyone to hear her.
myjeepsbigger is offline   Reply With Quote