Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Default New Jeep came home!

The Jeep:
2018 5.7 Limited Grand Chero-car with 22,000 miles

so about 4 weeks ago we placed an order for a 2021 Premier Tahoe with the 3.0L Duramax. well, it hadn't even been ordered yet since allocations weren't available. on top of that, they went from an 8-12wk lead time, to 12-16wk. at this point the universe is telling me to just stop.

so my dad has a 2017 v6 GC, and the wife and i both HATE it. like honest to god, loath driving it. soft, vanilla, no feedback, slow, crazy hesitations, no android auto ... it just sux. so we didn't even bother driving a GC. well we did drive a G/T (v6), R/T(5.7 hemi), and SRT(392) Durango in the process and the differences between them are night and day. finally decided that maybe the GC was the same and went to drive one locally, sure enough they are. while still a little soft for our taste, we really liked it. it will also park in the city when she drives it to work all winter way easier. so i searched within 500miles for the cheapest 2018 (first year for android auto) 5.7 and this was it. 1h30m from home in the middle of OH at a no-haggle dealer.

already ordered a 2.5" spacer lift and a nice loud stainless cat-back. trying to decide between new 265/70-18 General's like we have on the WK, or new 20s and tires. pretty sure the wife likes these wheels though.

the 07 will become a heart donor. Colin is going to take the old 5.7 hemi and swap it into the rust free CJ i have been hording out back. so really this is +1 Jeep -2 Jeeps for me.

all said n done, this is costing us less than HALF the Tahoe. the difference alone is enough money to pay a shop to shell-off restore my grandfathers 1970 Airstream. jeep is just as much luxury, much faster/sportier, plus no after treatment system. i don't trade in my GMC though, so still rocking it to tow.

Last edited by 6DoF; 03-29-2021 at 05:51 PM.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:31 PM   #2
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Nice upgrade! Those are really nice vehicles, and with the Hemi and 8 spd it should be really powerful.

So what happens with the old WK? I see it in the background still. Building it into an overlanding Jeep to rival B or just selling it?
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:49 PM   #3
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBood82 View Post
Nice upgrade! Those are really nice vehicles, and with the Hemi and 8 spd it should be really powerful.

So what happens with the old WK? I see it in the background still. Building it into an overlanding Jeep to rival B or just selling it?
i REALLY wanted to chop the top, notch the doors, cage it, SAS, and build "The Baller-Crawler" ... freakin hemi, auto, heated leather seats for 5, AC, wood grain dash, bangin tunes, etc. but i just don't have the time or need.

instead, the 07 will become a heart donor. Colin is going to take the old 5.7 hemi and swap it into the rust free CJ i have been hording out back. so really this is +1 Jeep -2 Jeeps for me.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
i REALLY wanted to chop the top, notch the doors, cage it, SAS, and build "The Baller-Crawler" ... freakin hemi, auto, heated leather seats for 5, AC, wood grain dash, bangin tunes, etc. but i just don't have the time or need.

instead, the 07 will become a heart donor. Colin is going to take the old 5.7 hemi and swap it into the rust free CJ i have been hording out back. so really this is +1 Jeep -2 Jeeps for me.
Boooo... Come on man, make some dumb decisions! Go with the Baller Crawler!!
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:35 AM   #5
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Boooo... Come on man, make some dumb decisions! Go with the Baller Crawler!!
if Colin hadn't already claimed it, i had thought about doing a "roadkill build" and getting like 4 guys over for a weekend til it was done. but that ship has sailed.

in the mean time though, can i appease the peanut gallery with dumb decisions by building the new one instead?
Old 03-30-2021, 08:18 AM   #6
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Quote:

Somehow I read that it was going to be a parts Jeep to resurrect the old CJ in your first post, and yet it didn't process in my head, I still had to ask... mostly because a built Grand Cherokee is cool and rare I guess.

I do second the idea of dumb decisions!
Old 03-30-2021, 12:03 PM   #7
jeepkid05
pee pee pants

Send a message via AIM to jeepkid05

Nice ride. Does it have a 3rd row or no?
jeepkid05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid05 View Post
Nice ride. Does it have a 3rd row or no?
nope! i don't think any grand ever got one ... that's what the D-go is for.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #9
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Quote:
nope! i don't think any grand ever got one ... that's what the D-go is for.
They just released the third row version.

https://www.jeep.com/all-new-grand-cherokee-3-row.html

It's all new though and I suspect a new 2 row will follow as well.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:20 PM   #10
6DoF

yeah, i don't understand the Grand Cherokee L thing ... other than they already make the D-go so they have the platform, and they can charge more for the premium brand.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:34 AM   #11
Baby peez

Take your time on the first oil change. The oil filter is miserable on the 5.7's. First few changes I ended up with oil all down my arm.

Sweet ride though, I have no complaints about ours. The auto on heated steering wheel with remote start is clutch in the winter.
Baby peez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:30 AM   #12
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby peez View Post
Take your time on the first oil change. The oil filter is miserable on the 5.7's. First few changes I ended up with oil all down my arm.

Sweet ride though, I have no complaints about ours. The auto on heated steering wheel with remote start is clutch in the winter.
dually noted, thanks sir!

and the wife is super excited for the heated wheel. this will be her daily winter ride.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:45 AM   #13
Cobound
- The Don -

Nice ride, congrats! Heated wheel

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote