Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Tow Rig Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #241
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Ok I didn't realize you planned for fans too. With fans it should be OK then.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #242
Baby peez

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Ok I didn't realize you planned for fans too. With fans it should be OK then.
Thats because he didn't mention the 500a alternator he was going to put in to power all of his fans
Baby peez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #243
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby peez View Post
Thats because he didn't mention the 500a alternator he was going to put in to power all of his fans
quad alternators man! that's why there's no room for air-to-air!

the 6 fans are 18amp total. not crazy, but not i'll have 2 relay's mounted to the fan banks to run them, with a power wire direct from the battery 2ft behind em.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:56 AM   #244
6DoF

but first, more real updates on the 55! last night i finished the cage mounts and got the whole mess into the chassis. wish i had gotten a picture of trying to prop it up into place, had straps n blocks on stools, was a contraption for sure. and of course, being me, i had to get it within 1/32" of my 3D :facepalm:

so the heat exchangers are still loose-ish in the cage, i built it slightly over-size to allow for a small padded seat AL to Steel. this also allows for a little flex in the mount with the chassis, hopefully without damaging anything.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:56 AM   #245
6DoF

BOOM! DONE!

i mean, as done as it's going to be until after assembly. the chassis is still missing f/r bumper mounts and rear hitch receiver. things that i need the bed on to get a complete look at to know where they go. to this point i've only confirmed that i'm pretty sure the bed will somehow fit if i cut some things up a bit, haha.

the big add last night was the Zip-Tie tabs, 39 in total. i had 31 welded to the chassis before i thought ... "i should check and make sure a ziptie fits in these". also kind of detailed out the other bits in prep for paint. one more fancy plate got holes drilled, and the LCA's got drain/rock escape holes on the back edge of the bag pockets. front edge will still push gravel if needed, but the back i wanted stuff to be able to get out.

Old 10-29-2021, 12:48 PM   #246
xj_man_646

Looking good

I like diesels
Old 11-01-2021, 10:28 AM   #247
6DoF

Well that got messy i still never found a better way than to squirt it out n finger paint with it.

She's sealed n ready, just needs scuffed, taped, n shot with LizardSkin.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:38 AM   #248
xj_man_646

I've been watching blue collar kyle's body repair videos. He uses a seam sealer that gets applied with a little brush and a caulking gun if I recall correctly.

But I remember doing your method when working on my old Cherokee. Works, but is messy. Haha.

I like diesels
Old 11-01-2021, 01:46 PM   #249
6DoF

3m 08367
Old 11-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #250
6DoF

Life is too shot not to Hotrod

WOW, that took maximum effort. 12:30pm i started chipping spatter, 8:30pm i finished dragging tools back in.

So my tent showed up Monday night after i had a horrible day trying to paint the primer, just in time to mock me. then sitting in the team meeting Tuesday morning i was having an aneurism over the nice weather, told my boss i would try the work thing again today and left. cleaned up a lot more welding spatter i had missed until i could see it in primer, and scuffed the whole thing. neighbor came up n helped me set up the tent and move the chassis out, if it wasn't for him coming up when he did i'd have never gotten done. thank god for neighbors!

i've painted before, but not enough to feel proficient with it. that first gun of paint is feeling awkward, but i wanted to hit the "gotcha spots" that wouldn't get much paint unless specifically hit ... i had a lot of those. just a little into that i'm under the chassis spraying the suspension tube work and splash most of my paint out on my and the ground when the lid pops off. well i gota finish the paint that's left in it ... while my hand glues to the gun. i had to do a full clean up of myself and the gun to start again. back at it, spraying along, 3rd gun of paint and i'm back under the chassis, spraying the same spot, and i laid in the puddle of paint. now my shirt is gluing itself to me while i finish this gun, my armpit sticking together. i still have orange armpit hair :facepalm: after that i got a system going and couldn't be happier with the results!

Old 11-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #251
Hoofmann
AKA: Kebo

Nice sparkly frame! Your progress on this thing is pretty astonishing. My progress would be much slower.
Hoofmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #252
jeepkid05
pee pee pants

Send a message via AIM to jeepkid05

Do you have spots for water to drain out of the frame? Or do you plan on dumping a few gallons of fluid film inside the frame and tumbling it around so it coats all the nooks and crannies?
jeepkid05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:28 AM   #253
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid05 View Post
Do you have spots for water to drain out of the frame? Or do you plan on dumping a few gallons of fluid film inside the frame and tumbling it around so it coats all the nooks and crannies?
inside the frame rails are sealed, or will be. the only opening is the very back where i need to finish it once the bed is built. even the front where the suspension bolts in, that section of tubing was capped at both ends before i welded it into the frame.

i do like the fluid film addition though! i might have to dump some in before the final capping.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #254
Cobound
- The Don -

Fantastic color, totally pops, can't wait to see the full truck now

Also, neighbors...so thankful for them. You've seen all my different options of toys I have, and how I've swapped out RTT on one to another...if not for neighbors, I'd be screwed. Having moved from the country to the city I was nervous, not any more...hell, now anywhere we look I'm always considering the neighbor options

Great update, all the best to you as you unstick yourself

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #255
6DoF

Sprayed over the LizardSkin with Summit Racing single stage satin black. That should help it clean up better! Also means the cab is ready to set back on the chassis for good!

The varying texture of the lizard skin took the paint a little differently and created some more and less shiny spots. Not a big deal under the truck, just heads up to anyone doing the same.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:58 AM   #256
6DoF

well ... crap ...

things were going quite well this weekend, for a while. i had high hopes and solid ambition to get as many smaller parts painted as possible. figured i'd start by finishing off the only remining orange bits. tent up, heater staged, lights, parts cleaned, primed, even got a really good couple layers of paint laid down. then it wouldn't cure enough for me to flip them over, to finish. i started cleaning up more parts for black, but only got them into primer in the shop before i had to just bring the orange in without flipping for the night. so i still need to paint the other side hopefully soon.

then i wake up at 12:15 to a storm, i thought it was only supposed to just rain. that ends and you can see a bigger stronger cell coming behind now and more wind predicted. so 12:30 and i'm out there taking the stupid tent down, got all wound up, couldn't get back to sleep, and here i am typing this at work half asleep ... :facepalm:

Old 12-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #257
6DoF

ok, so new plan ... the tent, it's out ... built a large, foldable for easy storage, spray booth so i can just shoot paint in the garage.

3 4x8 sheets of white 1/8" wall board, hinges, some duct tape, a few box fans, furnace filters, and i should be back in business. i gota make it big enough to paint an axle in, and hopefully i can keep it together and use it for future projects.

finally got my booth all set up last night! the fans are on the back just hanging from some hooks, and i put a lazy susan bearing on my stand to spin things. before i paint i'll cover the floor with something, and hang a drop cloth on the garage door behind the fans to make sure nothing sticks to the door.

she even folds up nice to store it for later.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:00 AM   #258
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Nice. I may have to do something similar. I am working on some of the rust of my truck so will be painting different parts soon. Also seems my wife always has something for me to paint.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:23 PM   #259
Cobound
- The Don -

Saw your IG cab post...you going to keep the original patina and go clear...I forget.

Way to adapt n overcome

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:51 AM   #260
6DoF

Patina and sauce it outside, inside and under is all hotrod

Now the only big thing between me and final assembly to drive it is paint work.