Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Tow Rig Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Default Helper Bags

Seems like a lot of the rear helper bags remove the bumpstop and go in place of it. Not a huge fan of this. Air Lift offers one that has the bumpstop built into the inside of the bag, seems like a good idea if it's engineered right and not just a gimmick. Most of the others recommend running with some pressure inside the bags, which will hurt unloaded ride quality, but the internal bumpstop ones can be run with no pressure.
Does anyone run rear bags on their tow rig either with or without the internal bumpers? I get that anytime you're loaded down enough to likely be hitting the bumpstop you'll likely have the bags inflated anyway, but stuff happens. And Michigan roads are garbage, so a bumpstop would be nice for running deflated. Just trying to decide if it's worth the extra cost for the internal bumpstops or if it's just a marketing tool. I like the mounting setup of the Firestones better too, and it's cheaper, but they don't offer the bumpstop like Air Lift.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IX0CQDS...v_ov_lig_dp_it
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

i have a set and they are AWESOME!!

so they say to run at least 3psi or so in them, that way when you lift your truck and hang the axle the bag doesn't suck in on it's self and cause damage. install them at zero psi with the axle hung, seal the system, set the truck down, and they'll be at 3psi basically.

i ran unloaded with the bags at 60psi for a few days til i remembered. the ride wasn't as annoying as the view of the rear end being jacked up high.

mine have internal bumps, i thought most did. i've definitely bottomed the truck a few times with no issue, didn't seam different than before. no bumps can damage the bags, i'd spend the money to get them

i'm 98% sure i got the air lift kit from amazon, that price looks right. super easy install, all there ... my only complaint was that the exhaust heat shield rotted n fell off in the the first winter.

i installed the 2 fill valves inside the gas door, just drilled holes in the plastic surround in there. would do it again. also, be careful filling, they fill FAST.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
i have a set and they are AWESOME!!

so they say to run at least 3psi or so in them, that way when you lift your truck and hang the axle the bag doesn't suck in on it's self and cause damage. install them at zero psi with the axle hung, seal the system, set the truck down, and they'll be at 3psi basically.

i ran unloaded with the bags at 60psi for a few days til i remembered. the ride wasn't as annoying as the view of the rear end being jacked up high.

mine have internal bumps, i thought most did. i've definitely bottomed the truck a few times with no issue, didn't seam different than before. no bumps can damage the bags, i'd spend the money to get them

i'm 98% sure i got the air lift kit from amazon, that price looks right. super easy install, all there ... my only complaint was that the exhaust heat shield rotted n fell off in the the first winter.

i installed the 2 fill valves inside the gas door, just drilled holes in the plastic surround in there. would do it again. also, be careful filling, they fill FAST.
You probably didn't notice the ride difference as much in your 2500 cuz it's already stiff as hell. Mine rode pretty damn rough from the get-go and had high enough load capacity I never put helper bags on it. There were a few times when I was severely exceeding payload/GVWR and rear GAWR that it could have used them, but those were very rare and were situations I shouldn't have been in to begin with. Definitely adding them to my 1500 though and I'm sure leaving them full would be more noticeable on that.

Air Lift is the only one I've seen with the internal jounce bumper option.

I'll probably run the shrader(s) to the license plate mounting holes. Easy access and no new holes needed. I added helper bags to my wife's Tahoe and T'd them together. I only used it for one trip towing, but didn't notice issues having them connected. I may try that again this time while being prepared to separate them if I notice any issues from cornering or weight transfer. Could even use a single fill port and a ball valve to isolate them once filled but that seems unnecessarily complex.

I've got a Viair compressor I've had sitting new in box for a decade. It fits perfect in the unused battery tray on the driver side of my truck. I think I'll make a quick-remove tray with handle to hold that and a 1/2 gallon air tank. Gotta check the current capacity of the hitch wiring, and if high enough I'll have it set up to plug into that for power at the rear of the truck. Yes, I realize I could just run an air hose from the tank permanently mounted in the engine compartment, but what fun is that? Having the compressor on hand will be nice for not having to leave bags full after arrival on long camping trips, filling tires, beach toys, etc.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
You probably didn't notice the ride difference as much in your 2500 cuz it's already stiff as hell. Mine rode pretty damn rough from the get-go and had high enough load capacity I never put helper bags on it. There were a few times when I was severely exceeding payload/GVWR and rear GAWR that it could have used them, but those were very rare and were situations I shouldn't have been in to begin with. Definitely adding them to my 1500 though and I'm sure leaving them full would be more noticeable on that.
the equalizer bars were great for towing a jeep behind the 1500 burb, but you are correct, totally unnecessary behind the 2500. when the bags came into play was towing the 28ft enclosed. the weight was only a little heavy to the tongue, but the weight was really spread out making it bounce constantly. as much as the bars helped, the bags helped me that much more again. no clue what that trailer weighted, but it was significant.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post
Totally different setup than the ones I've been looking at. That's the lighter duty version that mounts outboard, I'm looking at the heavier duty ones that mount slightly inboard. Obviously stability is improved on the outboard ones, but I'm not too worried about it since it's already going to be overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
the equalizer bars were great for towing a jeep behind the 1500 burb, but you are correct, totally unnecessary behind the 2500. when the bags came into play was towing the 28ft enclosed. the weight was only a little heavy to the tongue, but the weight was really spread out making it bounce constantly. as much as the bars helped, the bags helped me that much more again. no clue what that trailer weighted, but it was significant.
My camper has weight distribution and sway control. I could get by without air bags on the 1500 no problem, but overkill>adequate. I'd rather the peace of mind. It's big, heavy, lots of tongue weight, and is a giant sail, so more is definitely better for hauling that a couple thousand miles a year with me entire family in the truck. My car/wood hauler is just a straight up hitch, so when I overload that with stupid sh1t it'll be nice to have the helper bags too.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
XJAndy
label nerd

Send a message via AIM to XJAndy

I have them on my WK and really liked them. I had a super basic air bag inside the coil spring in place of the bump stop. I never ran into an issue not having the bump stop there and would run them empty if I wasn't towing, but a WK doesn't have a bed so its not like I went to go put 1000# of mulch or something in the back of it.
XJAndy is offline   Reply With Quote