Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
zjwrekkr
SUCKER FISH

Default Skim light

Any of you fellas have any experience with you SKIM light coming on as you're driving down the road? The one on WJ has been coming on once and a while. I had the computer scanned and they cleared the codes but it has been happening again. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I have two spare keys and have tried them and it still happens. Thanks. -B
zjwrekkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

What year? And what was the code?
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:26 AM   #3
zjwrekkr
SUCKER FISH

2003. I didnt run the scanner and they didnt take the time to look at the codes. Not dealing with the smartest "techs" at the dealer. I ended up having it towed back there as it happened again and completely immobilized my jeep. Before checking the codes the tech unplugged the module in the column. That apparently erased any codes in the computer, as there were none. One thing I was told they did was unhook the module in the column and supposedly it fired up and ran and it shouldnt have. So, it happened again over the weekend. So I pulled it up to their service door and parked it before it was immobilized again.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

My guess is on a skim module if you have tried other keys but that's just a guess without more info.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
zjwrekkr
SUCKER FISH

I've read threads until my eyes out. Seems this is a common issue that happens and people have found multiple solutions. I have zero confidence in any of the people I've spoken to for them to trouble shoot this. I just get a blank stare when I suggest any of these possible solutions. Only place in the county with a scanner that can read the security codes in the SKIM module.
I might have to just buy another Jeep. Fuuuuu
Old 12-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
Cobound
- The Don -

What did you figure out?

Did you just buy yourself a new Grand for xmas?

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #7
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Do you have specific codes that you can share?

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
zjwrekkr
SUCKER FISH

So after hours of eye burning searches of forums to try and find the best/cheapest way to solve this. There were multiple issues people found to solve there problems. Most notable were replacing the expensive SKIM module and having to program the keys by a locksmith or dealer. A module in the door lock, broken wires in the door jamb. Spraying out residual dust in the PCM connections. Bad fuses. Bad grounds. Replaced the computers. Replaced the BCM. Replaced ignition...etc. many people replaced numerous part and remedial actions to solve this. I came across a gem buried deep in some marginally related thread.
What I did. Purchased a remanufactured computer for $200. I removed the computer, then removed the SKIM module along with the halo around the ignition. Had three unchipped keys cut. Then I installed the new computer. Once installed I turned the key to on position for about 10 minutes. While the computer goes through its initial learn and doesnt read that there is a SKIM module it goes into non-skim mode and doesnt activate the security portion of the computer. I turned the key off for a couple minutes and it fired right up with the non chipped key. It's been running fine for a couple days now. The only thing is that the SKIM light is on all the time. I took the gauge cluster apart and removed what appeared to be the bulb for it, but it's still on. I put a little black tape over it. The only issue I just realized this morning and havent had time to look into it is my windsheild wipers dont work. Not sure if it's a relay/fuse thing or if it somehow ties to having removed the SKIM module...loluhg.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #9
zjwrekkr
SUCKER FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Do you have specific codes that you can share?
The dealer it was at three times wouldn't give me the codes. Nor would they try to trouble shoot anything. They just wanted to replace parts. The last time it was there for 3 days and they didnt touch it. I also asked the for the PIN for my computer to which they refused to give me. Towards the end of my patients one of the guys behind the service/parts desk told me to go to another dealer.
The reason I wanted the PIN is that I am pretty sure the same bypass could be accomplished by removing the SKIM and then flash the computer.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
Cobound
- The Don -

Dayum!!!

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 12-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #11
zjwrekkr
SUCKER FISH

I figured out why my wipers didnt work. Had to unplug them to get the SKIM out and didnt plug the back in. anyway I havent had anymore issues. Vroom vroom
Old 12-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #12
Cobound
- The Don -

So you’re not buying a “new” Jeep?

Old 12-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #13
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

i loath all this new BS ... sure things can be a bit safer or more convenient day to day, but i'm guess you'd have rather had the vehicle stolen and gotten a check from the insurance rather than have dealt with that issue.

there needs to be a work-around for a 100% fully functional vehicle in the hands of it's owner! the computers are there already to allow a freaking bio-metric log-in to start a car without any key or link to the "security module"
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #14
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjwrekkr View Post
So after hours of eye burning searches of forums to try and find the best/cheapest way to solve this. There were multiple issues people found to solve there problems. Most notable were replacing the expensive SKIM module and having to program the keys by a locksmith or dealer. A module in the door lock, broken wires in the door jamb. Spraying out residual dust in the PCM connections. Bad fuses. Bad grounds. Replaced the computers. Replaced the BCM. Replaced ignition...etc. many people replaced numerous part and remedial actions to solve this. I came across a gem buried deep in some marginally related thread.
What I did. Purchased a remanufactured computer for $200. I removed the computer, then removed the SKIM module along with the halo around the ignition. Had three unchipped keys cut. Then I installed the new computer. Once installed I turned the key to on position for about 10 minutes. While the computer goes through its initial learn and doesnt read that there is a SKIM module it goes into non-skim mode and doesnt activate the security portion of the computer. I turned the key off for a couple minutes and it fired right up with the non chipped key. It's been running fine for a couple days now. The only thing is that the SKIM light is on all the time. I took the gauge cluster apart and removed what appeared to be the bulb for it, but it's still on. I put a little black tape over it. The only issue I just realized this morning and havent had time to look into it is my windsheild wipers dont work. Not sure if it's a relay/fuse thing or if it somehow ties to having removed the SKIM module...loluhg.
Interesting. Thanks for following up.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #15
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
i loath all this new BS ... sure things can be a bit safer or more convenient day to day, but i'm guess you'd have rather had the vehicle stolen and gotten a check from the insurance rather than have dealt with that issue.

there needs to be a work-around for a 100% fully functional vehicle in the hands of it's owner! the computers are there already to allow a freaking bio-metric log-in to start a car without any key or link to the "security module"
Just wait man. Cars are going to get a lot more disposable here soon. We are already having problems getting pcms for chryslers that are 10 years old.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #16
zjwrekkr
SUCKER FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post

Exactly. The thing is beat to **** with 203k on it. Not worth much over scrap to any purchaser. It could have easily been $2-3k to trouble shoot the issue by just starting to replace components. This is was a super cheap DIY fix that is completely bypassing the security BS no matter what was causing the issue.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #17
zjwrekkr
SUCKER FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post
If it is a Chrysler dealer, did you file a complaint?
Not yet. I think I'm going to clean the inside out some and take it back and make the fukkrs fix all the TSB's on it just because fukk them.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #18
zjwrekkr
SUCKER FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
So you’re not buying a “new” Jeep?
I bought one as a back up before I did this computer hack just in case it didnt work so I had a way to get to work. That said I'm going to have to find something different. This one is a Laredo. I'm going to need a limited. I took Hammah for one ride in it only to find out the interior is so cheap his claws go right through the vinyl/cloth.
The drive train blows to, totally a grocery getter for moms. Stupid fukking quadra-trac I. No fukking low range and the traction control works by applying brake to the spinning wheel instead of some type of LSD. Wtf junk. I'm gona need something with a quadra-drive in it.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #19
Cobound
- The Don -

Bummer...at least you figured out what to look for next.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:14 AM   #20
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
Just wait man. Cars are going to get a lot more disposable here soon. We are already having problems getting pcms for chryslers that are 10 years old.
they are particularly the worst from what i've been told. was talking to my mechanic over break and i didn't realize there were "right to repair" laws. basically some states had to sue em to get access to the PCM to perform some repairs. that is bonkers.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote