Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #121
Cobound
- The Don -

Man, I'll be out there late July, early August, but not likely even close to being able to see those trails, even from the trailhead

Ouray, Telluride and Durango this go...I need to look at some real estate while I'm there

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:27 AM   #122
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

got out to AOAA Saturday for a shakedown run, and things went pretty good. nothing contacted that wasn't supposed to, nothing broke. only real issue is woefully under-powered steering, but i knew that was probable. time for a ram when i find the time/money.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #123
Cobound
- The Don -

Cool. How long has it been since you had that thing on a trail

I got out last weekend as well...holy mud town...so pissed, it took me forever to clean this, AGAIN. I HATE MUD

I had JUST cleaned it after my May trek, and this time it got much, much worse!

But, it was fun...didn't get may pix, was raining so much, and of course never get any of my own

The stuff was sand, clay, black dirt, mixed w/ small rock like mad...Apple Valley Farms. So, yeah, a mix of everything

I was buried up over my 40's a couple times, so it got into every crevice possible. Tossed another ABS sensor...after JUST replacing one the week prior

There is only ONE actual rock pile, and it's super small...like, in a 1,000 sqft spot

Trying to decide if we take the wife's JK Sahara to Ouray this July, or the Gladiator. I just rolled 17k on it. Not that miles bother me, just sayin.

If we take her JK it's small, rather comfy, but can't take the Roofnest for any overnights (we're staying the trip in a VRBO but the nest would be cool to stay in on the way out and back). Ouray, Telluride, Durango...nothing either one of them isn't capable of doing just the same, so...

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 06-26-2020, 06:27 AM   #124
6DoF

oh no, not MUD, don't get that pretty-pretty-princess jeep all dirty!!!

i'm trying to remember the last time i got out ... i think i tried once last year and the truck quit on me, and maybe only once the spring before that even. WAY too long.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #125
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post

Im with Brian, mud is terrible
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:10 AM   #126
freerider15
shoplifter fail

Send a message via AIM to freerider15

Don't have much in the way of pictures (yet), but ran Carnage Canyon in Buena Vista this weekend.

Ran it up, turned around and dropped back down in and did it backwards.

Got to tow a completely dead TJ buggy about 2/3rds the way back down...and it went surprisingly well...only took about an hour.

Then once we got done, went and did a run through Chinamans.

Finished off the day with some beer and grub at Eddyline.

Was a good run (for me at least), cleaned everything and did a "newer" line on the waterfall.

Some of our group:

freerider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:21 AM   #127
6DoF

the narrowed XJ Mafia
Old 06-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #128
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:

i'm trying to remember the last time i got out ... i think i tried once last year and the truck quit on me, and maybe only once the spring before that even. WAY too long.

Look, I beat this thing, I don't mind getting it dirty...hell, it's full of pinstripes, dust, and even moderate mud, definitely cow shyt...but full on mud, caked like a damn adobe structure

Rocks like popcorn balls...no, just flat out no. This isn't a princess Jeep, dude. I digress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
Im with Brian, mud is terrible
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
the narrowed XJ Mafia
LOL, right!! Sweet rides, holy hell sweet rides!! Especially Justin's

Old 10-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #129
Cobound
- The Don -

Bump!!

Got out this weekend, MN northwoods...hit up the trail w/ the Max-Bilt guys again, they do this annually.

Good fires, snow, wheelin...camped out in 19* weather

Not much for wheeling pix, since I can't take pix of myself, haaa....but we got out there

Fresh pow...wish someone had gotten us going through this, was a cool rock bed, we called it the Ankle Breaker, cuz walking it sucked

Built a small fire...drank some beers...

Yes, lots of mud, cleaned it right after I got home!

Cruised home, grilled some wings and watched some mediocre football games.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #130
6DoF

B! No!!1! it's all dirty again!!

i love winter camping, used to go all the time in the scouts. been a while, and been a while since i've been somewhere with real snow too. wheeling in the snow thought!?!? i think you are nutz. if snow is the obstacle is one thing, good times, but obstacles covered in snow is another. i can just hear the broken parts, and am frustrated already about being stuck in an icy pothole.

Last edited by 6DoF; 10-20-2020 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #131
Cobound
- The Don -

Yep, super mud ridden, again. Can't avoid it up here, but it's NOWHERE near what it was in June...F that biz again!!!!

It's F'n freezing here now...but I washed it up in a heated bay and got all I could off of it, interior will have to wait. I'm storing it in my FIL's garage this year since he's snowbirding in AZ, it's about a 45 minute drive, I'll maybe swing over there and clean it, or work on it if I feel the need. It's a super small 3 car, but it's heated and the only other vehicle in there is his Vette.

I'm actually looking forward to some more winter camping this year...might take long weekend or two to do some, we'll see who wants to go with

Old 10-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #132
Hoofmann
AKA: Kebo

I’ve had a pretty mild summer. I got out a couple of times to shake down the new auto. With my 37” Nittos getting pretty bald, I am seeking some 40s to replace them. I decided I wasn’t stepping up to new tires until I got rid of the spool in the rear. I just couldn’t bear to witness my new tires getting worn down so fast with all the street time mine sees. I think I have 15k miles on the current 37s and I just got the ARB installed last week and I’m currently shopping for new 40s.

Also, recently, my 4.0L has been running funny after I installed a new intake and had to move some wiring around. It keeps throwing check engine lights for injector circuits on 4 of the cylinders and another code for O2 sensors. I haven't looked into it yet but I will soon. I also need to plumb and wire my ARB before wheeling again.

Pics:

Hoofmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #133
Cobound
- The Don -

SWEET!!

Yeah, good call...too expensive to be running a spool and wearing them down.

I was bald last year going through that same mess, even locked...this year I didn't have my lockers (ran out of C02) but had new tires...wow, still crawled it all!!

Old 10-20-2020, 09:47 PM   #134
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

I dont think 15k is to terrible for a set of big mud tires no idea how many miles I have on my trail grapplers but its about time for new tires for me as well.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:07 AM   #135
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
SWEET!!

Yeah, good call...too expensive to be running a spool and wearing them down.

I was bald last year going through that same mess, even locked...this year I didn't have my lockers (ran out of C02) but had new tires...wow, still crawled it all!!
Your lockers are driven off a CO2 tank? How long can you typically use the lockers before needing to refill?

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #136
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
I dont think 15k is to terrible for a set of big mud tires no idea how many miles I have on my trail grapplers but its about time for new tires for me as well.
37 Nitto's on my TJ have maybe 20k and are 50% or better yet ...
Old 10-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #137
Hoofmann

Yep and mine with the spool and lots of street time are bald!

Edit: Past the wear bars bald in the rear. Also my spare has a nice hole in the sidewall so I am buying 5.

Last edited by Hoofmann; 10-21-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #138
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Your lockers are driven off a CO2 tank? How long can you typically use the lockers before needing to refill?
Shouldnt take much air to operate. Not like it is continuously using air to keep them locked.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #139
Hoofmann

One of my friends runs an ARB with just the HO compressor. No tank. I was under the impression that you needed a tank for the whole system so I bought a 1 gallon tank that I’ll mount behind the front seats.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #140
Cobound
- The Don -

I got about 25k on my 40" Nittos...probably more if I wouldn't have had issues w/ my front end. Still using one as a spare, just gave the others away to get them out of my garage.

BFG, they don't last for shyt...muds need rotation at 2-3k miles, I'll never own another set.

C02 lasts quite a while, no idea how long really...but I've got two small tanks and they've lasted me as long as I've had the Jeep, a few years...I thought I had a spare, but apparently run that one down and I think I likely left the line open the last time I used it and may have just drained...whatever. I'm going to make a small connection for the next time that happens so I have a direct line to my ARB compressor. Didn't happen this trip.