Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #181
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
Mmmmm I'll take my comfy tow rig thank you very much

Michael, one of the guys with us who I did Indy with a little over a month ago has a little video. Not much of the rest of the group, but you can watch me drop in and run Indy backwards (and the empty talent tank of mine apparently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qLb...KHwwJZa01zzgR4
Any video that starts w/ a CLUTCH tune is already solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
Low res, fo sho...but nice crawl!

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #182
Hoofmann
AKA: Kebo

Well, my plans for a golf trip to Phoenix with my brother and several other dudes is off. My brother has a baby arriving in 6 weeks so he canceled which got everyone else thinking.

I made the golf plans and then found out from Lubes that there were a bunch of CO people heading out to Moab this week. It sounds like a lot of people canceled that, too, so I’m not going to Moab for the weekend.

That said, I’m going wheeling this weekend. Penrose again on Saturday. All are welcome to join, if you’re in the area.
Hoofmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #183
Hoofmann

I have been making it a point, without having my own garage right now, to visit my friends garages and get little things done here and there. Just because I don’t have a garage, doesn’t mean I’m going to let this Jeep collect dust. I built a steering box skid because it was time, finally. This whole front end situation isn’t ideal and I want to change it completely, but I’m working with what I have, for now.

Steering box, many years of being mashed against rocks. Poor little fella.

Progress:

Saturday we ran independence again. One of the hardest trails in CO has become my main testing ground. Being two hours away, it’s not too far either. Definitely worth the day trip.

New skid got her first kisses, too.

Overall a good day. The exit got harder and I had to take a winch to get out. I brought my gf, who had the idea of stopping in Penrose for a soak in a hot spring after. It was a great idea.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:16 AM   #184
Cobound
- The Don -

Dayum, son, you getting out and ABOUT!!!!

This is the shyt that makes me wish I was in CO...dammit, there's just nothing here but to dream.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 12-11-2020, 03:02 AM   #185
Lubes
alcoholic little wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofmann View Post
Independence ... One of the hardest trails in CO
I mean, not really any more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
This is the shyt that makes me wish I was in CO...dammit, there's just nothing here but to dream.
Ugh, this place is so friggin blue, I'm ready to friggin leave! Might as well move to California...
Lubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #186
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubes View Post
Ugh, this place is so friggin blue, I'm ready to friggin leave! Might as well move to California...

Old 12-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #187
Hoofmann

Yeah, I can drive that trail now. Not hard or technical at all. And I suck at driving!
Old 01-26-2021, 09:24 AM   #188
Hoofmann

I haven’t been wheeling in a while but I do drive this thing almost every day.

At work, standard Jeep guy stuff:
Old 01-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #189
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #190
Hoofmann

Default Trip Report, EJS 2021

Well, I didn't have a warm fuzzy about driving my Jeep to Moab and back last weekend. I haven't had a garage in over a year and I've been pretty rough on the ol' gurl. Lots of unfinished projects and generally rode hard and put away wet. Well, the concerns were warranted. This was the roughest trip I have had yet.

I left late; on Friday morning instead of Thursday, as I was trying to cobble together something that would carry a spare tire. I didn't finish it and decided to leave anyway. The drive out was relatively painless. Great weather and zero traffic late in the morning on Friday. The Jeep quit on me one time outside of Grand Junction. I rolled it to the side of the road and turned the key to try and start it. It started and I continued on my way and made it to Moab.

Saturday sucked. After getting on Pritchett Canyon and getting about 20 minutes in, I shut my Jeep down to have a little chat. When I went to start it back up, it would crank but not start. The fuel pump wasn't firing and when I finally could get it running, the relay would fire on and off, making the engine sputter and die. I hot wired the relay for the pump and got it off the trail and back to camp, all the while, it was underpowered and wouldn't shift gears in the newly installed (last year) AW4.

On Sunday, I put the relay back in and it ran fine all day. I didn't do any wheeling because I had no confidence in it. Instead, we went to the watering hole near Potato Salad Hill. I drove up the hill on the way out, for fun.

I drove home yesterday and it was running fine until about halfway home and the trans stopped shifting again.

Overall, I had fun. I wish I had spent the week there, as I had originally planned. A long weekend just isn't enough. I need to get serious about trying to get that Jeep back to running correctly again. I haven't really looked into it yet, but it seems like two, or more different issues are at play here.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #191
Cobound
- The Don -

Nice "seeing" you on Saturday

At least you made it there and home...and, no, a weekend is NOT long enough, no matter how close you live from there!

Old 04-06-2021, 05:06 PM   #192
cruiser
me like lots

damn that suck, bad enough when that happens around home, but on a long weekend outa town on a wheelin trip is the worst
cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:04 AM   #193
Lubes
alcoholic little wombat

Glad ya made it back, new Mop!

And fukk, a week isn't enough out there...
Lubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:22 AM   #194
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Ive had those trips to Moab, sucks. At least it made it back under its own power.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:09 PM   #195
Hoofmann

Angry I haven

Alright, I haven
Old 06-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #196
Hoofmann

Alright, I haven’t been driving my TJ at all because it broke down on me hard. I was driving it down the highway about a month ago and it kept quitting on me like I described in my Moab trip. This time, I couldn’t get it started. When I turned the key to run, the fuel pump relay wouldn’t fire. Cranked but no start. Kept trying to get it started again and then the cranking stopped too, after about 30 min of fricking with it.

The battery is strong, I know that’s not the issue. When i turn the key to run, I get all the lights, radio, etc but no fuel pump. Then, when I turn the key to start, I get nothing. A couple of relays click under the dash but that’s it. Additionally, after a few seconds (15 or so) the odometer will read “no bus”. The check engine light isn’t even on anymore. I bet it’s burned out.

I haven’t really worked on it much, aside from reading a wiring diagram and taking a multimeter to it to find where I’m getting juice. I haven’t traced all the wires yet.

So to summarize, no fuel pump, no crank, just a couple of relays behind the dash click when I try to start it. I’m at a loss for what to do next. I might make a separate thread to garner more attention on this and try to get an answer.

Some things I think are going on are:
1. Crank Position Sensor - only because I touched it when I swapped transmissions.

2. Bad ground - just based on the intermittent and unpredictable nature.

3. Bad starter (unrelated to the way it runs, however) - I’ve been having issues with it lately but it hadn’t quit on me totally. Maybe it’s finally given up.

4. Funked wiring - I suck at wiring.

Last edited by Hoofmann; 06-16-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #197
freerider15
shoplifter fail

Send a message via AIM to freerider15

If you could get it up to FoCo, I'm sure you, Sam and I could get it figured out over beers
freerider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:51 AM   #198
Cobound
- The Don -

Ugh, feel your pain...I recently got rid of an XJ cuz I had so many intermittent problems....as you mentioned, CPS, and I fixed a few wires that were cracked and grounding...a TPS, tested some other sensors and found them to be good...just wore out on it - sold it.

Thing that sucks is that I feel the PO dumped it on me knowing all of this...I was just "lucky" enough to test drive it when it was running well - it started acting up as soon as I got it home, nickel and dimed me all winter - sold it in the spring. I was UP FRONT and CLEAR w/ the buyer - he was all over it cuz of the condition anyway, says he'll just fix it - he keeps texting me like I have the answers No, Bozo, you got a deal on it cuz I was tired of it

Probably a damn wire somewhere, dude...good luck, I don't envy you!! Take Justin up on his beer offer - he and Sam are the XJ Whisperers

Old 06-16-2021, 10:26 AM   #199
Hoofmann

I’ll get it up there. . .

. . . As soon as I can get it running.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:24 AM   #200
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Hit me up we will get it fixed you still in Denver?
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote