Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2023, 12:18 PM   #21
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
well, i happen to know where there is a rust free southern LJ for sale, pre-built but needs some general TLC and adjustments. BUT ... it's an auto.

it's my BIL's, and i've actually been trying to convince the wife she wants to drive it in the winter and sell the GC.

A friend is selling a nearly identical one but it's a 6 speed. It's been wheeled and has minor rust, but overall a solid rig for a toy.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9864688329355/

As for JK vs JL, I went back and forth on what to get for my wife since I could have found a decent JKU drastically cheaper than the level of JL I wanted. I like everything about the JL better and have zero regrets about our decision. But to be fair, this is her DD and is going to be used on plenty of road trips and summer fun, not just a weekend toy. That definitely changes the equation. The late model JK is night and day better than early, which you're covered with since you want the 3.6. I've heard the 2012 were a bit more problematic though, so I'd try for 13+ if you can.

As for manual, I can't help too much there. I haven't driven a manual JK but from what others have said here it sounds far better than the JL. I drove a 2 door manual JL and the pedal feedback and rev hanging sucked as others said. And the engine was smooth and freaking silent so trying to get at the right RPM for driving without staring at the tach was a PITA. You couldn't do it by feel, so as others said it's just not a driver's car. I despise the sound of these engines with loud exhaust but it almost needs it just to be able to tell where RPM is at. To be fair this one was on 37s and 4.10s which didn't help the situation at all, but most of the issue would have been there stock too; this one was just extra sensitive to not being at the right RPM. JL is the first Wrangler I've ever driven that I prefer the automatic, which is due to both the great 8 speed and the crappy manual.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:59 PM   #22
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

my BIL's jeep has never been wheeled, just beach duty in NC. was built by a shop for a marine, then he's had it for beach fishing, to take the girls for ice cream, and puddle jumping after hurricanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
I drove a 2 door manual JL and the pedal feedback and rev hanging sucked as others said.
Joe Horn is who was just asked to un-fukk the JT manual calibrations. he was forced to take a work trip to wheel the Rubicon trail for a week doing calibration.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:29 PM   #23
Cobound
- The Don -

Sounds like a terrible work trip

I can't imagine w/ your BIL is going to ask for that TJL

I've considered one for a toy for a long time, but here they are rusty, high miles and stupid spendy still...so I gave up on it, especially seeing most of them in fair condition going between $18-30k

They didn't cost that new

Anyway, it's a dream vehicle that I won't realistically chase any more, too many other toys in my pocket

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:36 PM   #24
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:54 PM   #25
Cobound
- The Don -

Automatic - fail

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 03-15-2023, 04:04 PM   #26
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Yeah but a semi reasonably priced LJ with low miles

Old 03-15-2023, 04:09 PM   #27
Cobound
- The Don -

Yes, semi reasonable.

Old 03-15-2023, 05:57 PM   #28
bbaCJ8
old and boring

I could have had my mom's low mile LJ for practically free but she let the thing rust out so damn bad I wanted nothing to do with it. I spent an hour to patch the floor, listed it honestly on marketplace, and still sold it in an hour for $6k. Dude had it for sale again a week or two later once he realized what a POS it was.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:47 PM   #29
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

As long as somebody hasn’t invaded from another state, most jeeps here are pretty rust free
Old 03-15-2023, 08:46 PM   #30
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
Yeah but a semi reasonably priced LJ with low miles

I like that!
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:45 AM   #31
Jeepin Jason
I run this joint

So whatever happened with this? Did you ever find/buy a Jeep?

While I think a JL is arguably a better overall vehicle than the JK was, I would not buy a JL (or JT) with the manual transmission. Too many clutch issues, and the 8sp is just awesome.

I would however, definitely buy a manual JK. I'm a bit biased though since that's what I already drive. And while a late model JK would be more expensive than a TJ or LJ, I think I think I'd go for a JK over a TJ/LJ unless you just want the old-schooliness of a TJ/LJ.
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 12:50 PM   #32
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Great timing!

I was looking pretty hard the past couple months for a JK. Have some automated searches going on Autotrader and Cars.com, etc. My bonus wasn't going to hit until earlier this month so I wanted to watch the market and see what it looked like. Of course, it's a Jeep, and a pretty specific one at that, so not cheap!

I ran across a random K5 Blazer ad while looking at Jeeps on Facebook and my wife said she'd be OK with me looking at them as well. I had pretty much given up on my dream of owning a K5 due to their age and the desire for this to be a backup winter vehicle. I started looking and found one that's pretty much perfect for my desires, so I changed course and now am buying a 1977 K5 Blazer out in Oregon. Just trying to get it back out here now!
Old 05-23-2023, 01:22 PM   #33
Jeepin Jason
I run this joint

Well that took an unforeseen turn. Congrats though! K5s are cool old rigs.
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 12:48 PM   #34
Cobound
- The Don -

LOL, right - totally turned!!

For a good rig tho, I like how you roll, dude. I would have done the same thing...have, actually.

Get it, enjoy it, and if you want to move on you'll have had a taste of it and move to the next.

Killer rigs, always loved those - my dad had one when I was a wee lad, as have some of my uncles (they worked at the GM plant in Janesville, WI) - such a soft spot for those - and this one is beyond stock

Old 05-24-2023, 02:32 PM   #35
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Once I get hands on it I'll get some good photos and post them as well as more details on the build. It's quite literally a "too much to list" type build that looks like it literally had everything top shelf for a PNW snow wheeler/weekend driver built in the mid-2000s. Every time I look at the photos I see another detail. I know it's going to need some fixing up as it's been wheeled and driven pretty hard since then but the hard points are all there and it's currently running and driving well, so I can let it nickle and dime me some if I want without being down a toy.