Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2020, 03:21 PM   #81
myjeepsbigger
~ Jitterbug ~

The whole experience has really piqued my interest in shock tuning though. I'm soaking up all the info I can get on that right now. Cool stuff.
myjeepsbigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #82
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeepsbigger View Post
Dust. Holy hell there was some dust. At this point, I think I would go out to spectate, but I don't have much interest in participating. I think I'm forever a Rec Wheeler, and not a Racer. It would be cool to go out with my own rig on a Wednesday or Thursday, spend a few days exploring, and then watch the 4400 race from a couple different places (Backdoor, Chocolate Thunder, the flats out NE of Hammertown, etc) on Race Day.

Also, I'm really glad we had a house rented away from the chaos and noise. It was nice to grab a shower at night and sleep without the constant thunder of cars driving by. Maybe I'm getting old.

Get off my lawn!
I would concur. I LOVED getting out in the Can-Am, sold on those, I'm juicy about them now

Lots of dust, understatement, you BECOME DUST! That is NO joke. Hammerlung is fo realz!

I was OK w/ camping on site (in an RV), noise didn't bother me, but never escaping the dust was a bit much at times...would have LOVED a more regular opportunity to shower, but it wasn't unbearable, even if I am getting older Just glad I didn't end up in a tent as originally planned, that would have been miserable!! Maybe w/o the winds bearable, but not w/o shower access!

I'd love to go out and run some of that myself w/o the crowds, but definitely getting to watch the different rock challenges would have been nice...we were there so long but seems I didn't get to see a sliver of it.

Quote:
The whole experience has really piqued my interest in shock tuning though. I'm soaking up all the info I can get on that right now. Cool stuff.
I still can't say enough about that...the Can-Am was a game changer to get around with. Being able to hammer over whoopdies at 50-80 mph was INSANE!

I'll invest in good shocks when time comes to replace mine on the Jeeps.

I could see myself racing UTV class, but I don't have the energy for the work that it entails outside of just racing...so a rec wheeler for me as well.

Overall it was a blast, another bucket list notched!

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:07 AM   #83
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

i guess we lucked out and the dust was basically nil the year before. had some when out on the UTV rides, but that was it.

i know i'll go back! i'll never have the focus to pick just one hobby and race, but i'd crew for someone or just spectate again.

Quote:
Get off my lawn!
but that's so part of the experience!

Last edited by 6DoF; 02-13-2020 at 06:12 AM.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:20 AM   #84
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Quote:
Yes, I've been passively reading about shock tuning for about a year now. I dont really have anything I can use at the moment for it but its something I find super interesting. Next set of shocks for the truck I want to get some rebuildable ones, and fart around with it.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:39 PM   #85
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
Yes, I've been passively reading about shock tuning for about a year now. I dont really have anything I can use at the moment for it but its something I find super interesting. Next set of shocks for the truck I want to get some rebuildable ones, and fart around with it.
It's pretty fun. Rebuilding shocks is fun and really easy, just knowing what to tweak is tricky. Especially on a vehicle with awful mass ratios that sees a huge mix of uses and terrain. I did lots of research then lots of testing on my own rig. I think I've been through 4 iterations of tunes on my TJ or maybe only 3. I dunno, been a couple years and I don't have the sheets in front of me. It's still not 100% but it's night and day better than it used to be. Good enough that I haven't felt a need to tear into it in 3+ years. I've gotten some shocked thumbs up from a few long travel and sand rail guys after running with them through the dunes and across terrain that a stupid rock crawler never should have been able to do with speed.

Since doing all the work I've spent a bunch of times with a couple phenomenal tuners from AEV and Bilstein. Picked up a bunch of info from them and actually had some good feedback that helped them improve the packages we were working on too. So that was some nice validation for me to actually be helpful with the pros. After some of the testing sessions I took my TJ through some of the same stuff to see how bad it was in comparison and it was like butter. I was really happy with myself after doing that.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #86
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
It's pretty fun. Rebuilding shocks is fun and really easy, just knowing what to tweak is tricky. Especially on a vehicle with awful mass ratios that sees a huge mix of uses and terrain. I did lots of research then lots of testing on my own rig. I think I've been through 4 iterations of tunes on my TJ or maybe only 3. I dunno, been a couple years and I don't have the sheets in front of me. It's still not 100% but it's night and day better than it used to be. Good enough that I haven't felt a need to tear into it in 3+ years. I've gotten some shocked thumbs up from a few long travel and sand rail guys after running with them through the dunes and across terrain that a stupid rock crawler never should have been able to do with speed.

Since doing all the work I've spent a bunch of times with a couple phenomenal tuners from AEV and Bilstein. Picked up a bunch of info from them and actually had some good feedback that helped them improve the packages we were working on too. So that was some nice validation for me to actually be helpful with the pros. After some of the testing sessions I took my TJ through some of the same stuff to see how bad it was in comparison and it was like butter. I was really happy with myself after doing that.

I used to know a dude that worked at poison spider when it was in denver. He had a TJ on coilovers and that thing drove like a dream especially compared to my Tj with f350 es3000 shocks and 2" of up travel. That was my first experience with a actually tuned suspension. I want to get to that point someday

Hell my J10 had the rear ranchos 5000 shocks on upside down in the back when I got it. I couldn't even look at speed bump without hitting my head on the ceiling, just flipping them over made a huge difference.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:48 AM   #87
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

i've never played with any valving, but i was shocked by just how much change the dual rate stops alone made. ran them all the way up and the jeep felt like it was going to just fall over, plus bottomed out super easy. ran em down to about 1/2" off the coil separator at ride height and she's on rails and soaks up anything. i still need to get the bumps in there though ...
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #88
Cobound
- The Don -

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #89
myjeepsbigger
~ Jitterbug ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
i was shocked
I see what you did there.
myjeepsbigger is offline   Reply With Quote