Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
Cobound
- The Don -

Yeah, those are going for mad money, ridiculous!

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #2
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Yeah, those are going for mad money, ridiculous!
I think that about all jeeps now. Jks reselling for so much has made people lose their minds on the old stuff. You're clapped out yj isnt worth 15k
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Cobound
- The Don -

Oh, those prices aren't going to drop as quick as you think they will...not until all the new JKs are gone. And they will still be mid to high 30s for anything under a $45-55k Rubi.

We got our '08 Sahara for under $23k, smoking deal, new off the floor but they wanted it gone, sat for 15 months. Our '14 Rubi was in the low $40s and they weren't willing to deal at all, but gave me what I thought was a solid trade on a used Sahara with 105k on it, like $15.5k. Couldn't argue w/ that trade...anyway.

Yeah, I'd love a TJL, but they just don't fall into the meets my needs category at the moment.

Drove the JK to work today, got my half doors on...I need to go get a quote on paint for them, take them from green to color matched Anvil

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 05-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Are those MOPAR doors or knock offs? I need some for the rear at least.
Dennis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
Cobound
- The Don -

They are Savvy Off Road doors. Would LOVE the Mopar, but holy spendy!! These are aluminum, lots of leg and side room since they are basically just a skin, pretty good fit, but no seals. I have the TJ style mirrors and have Bestop uppers as well, but I really don't foresee using those, since these don't seal it's really just a half door driving option, rather not put my soft top or use w/ my hard, but anyway.

I stole them from a guy that sold his JKU for a 2 door and didn't need them any more. He had JUST painted them, so they were already assembled. I'll probably leave the top rail black and paint the inner and outer Anvil.

Drove it down the highway last night and they were quiet...drove through some pothole filled streets into work today and they rattled a bit more. Not bad tho, they look sharp and it's nice driving w/ them. Full open is nice occasionally, I have mirrors for that too.

Those are saweet, love having them for a full door off ride!

Old 05-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
Dennis
Semper Fi !

I am thinking just rears for the kiddos, so might splurge on the Mopars. Could keep them on all summer with uppers for rainy days and the soft pickup topper look. But yours look like a great option too. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
Cobound
- The Don -

Yeah, mine have no seals, so they are real nice for trail runs to protect the legs, something to lean on. I like going down the highway and open roads all open but the little protection you get from the wind is nice.

If you're serious, JCR Off Road makes a real nice set as well...little cheaper and ones I might have considered if I didn't pick these up "cheap"

Old 05-16-2018, 06:11 AM   #8
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

rear half doors on a JKU are the best look going by far i think.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #9
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
rear half doors on a JKU are the best look going by far i think.

Exactly what I am thinking. :wifey: wants the kids to have some side protection in back. Can't disagree with her too much. Will put other carpool parents at ease too.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
Cobound
- The Don -

Yeah, that's sharp. I really liked the kit on the Sandstorm concept this year w/ the rear doors making it look almost like a truck...I'd love a set on my JK to have that look!

Looks like the B pillar was cut and the door included a tall cover that blended so nicely...I really wish I would've gotten a pic of it open.

I'd love a set of factory half doors, but I can't imagine finding a set at a reasonable price

Old 05-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #11
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Yeah, that's sharp. I really liked the kit on the Sandstorm concept this year w/ the rear doors making it look almost like a truck...I'd love a set on my JK to have that look!

Looks like the B pillar was cut and the door included a tall cover that blended so nicely...I really wish I would've gotten a pic of it open.

I'd love a set of factory half doors, but I can't imagine finding a set at a reasonable price
That is cool! The publicity and magazine pics did not show that those are doors. Neat! But those seats look like something stolen from a Disney World ride.

The doors won't be cheap, but they are side impact certified. I'll just have to go one less Savile Row tailored suit this year.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #12
6DoF

also, this is kinda neat, but i bet kind of annoying ... detachable b-pillar kit

https://genright.com/products/jeep-j...illar-kit.html

Old 05-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #13
Blue XJ

Send a message via AIM to Blue XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
also, this is kinda neat, but i bet kind of annoying ... detachable b-pillar kit

https://genright.com/products/jeep-j...illar-kit.html

That really cleans up the lines of the 4 door, I like the look of it, but that seems like a lot of work to install, just for a look. Is there an actual benefit from it or does it fall into the angry eyes category?
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #14
bbaCJ8
old and boring

That seems safe.

Edit: Nevermind, clicked the link and saw that it's meant for use with a full cage.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #15
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
That seems safe.

Edit: Nevermind, clicked the link and saw that it's meant for use with a full cage.
From an engineer's perspective, is an aftermarket full cage safer on the street than the factory safety cage? I would assume it is for most off road roll overs, but how about high speed impacts with other vehicles or trees?
Old 05-17-2018, 06:32 AM   #16
6DoF

race cars crash with full cages all the time in rally or street courses, there's a reason they are class mandatory. the big difference is if you have a full cage the chances are you are full strapped to it, vs the DOT convenience belt and flat seat that lets you move around a lot more. i'll take a cage n 4pt over airbag n ratchet belt any day in a crash. my guess is you were more thinking about the crumple zone effect, but the main goal is to still have the drivers compartment as stiff as possible so that it's the LAST thing to crumple.

Last edited by 6DoF; 05-17-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #17
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Matt is right. The extremities of vehicles are made to crumple and cave, minimizing energy transfer into the passenger compartment. Hell, there are bars specifically placed for tires and bumpers to crash into and buckle the frame, rather than being pushing into the passenger footwell. The sides and passenger compartment are made to be rigid and protective, especially the lower portion and frame on something like a Wrangler. None of that is compromised much here, and the added structure from the full cage, assuming it's tied in properly to the body and frame, will make the passenger compartment safer. Factory roofs, cages, and "sport bars" are made to protect the passengers once. They mostly hold up enough for the passengers to survive, then they go to the scrap yard. Aftermarket setups like this are made to protect and keep going whenever possible. If it's rigid enough to do that, logic says that it's rigid enough to help more in all forms of impact. The issue would come in more with stuff like engine cages, chassis stiffening, monstrous bumpers with long frame tie-ins, etc. If they don't allow the chassis to crumple and cave, or in extreme cases prevent air bags from deploying, then the forces and impacts are being transferred to the passenger compartment and its contents. Watch a youtube video of crash testing Smart cars. They hold up great crashing into a barrier at 60mph. The car barely takes any damage. Since it's tiny and rigid with very little crumple zone, all that energy instead gets transferred to the occupants. No thanks. That's why the giant steel boats of yesteryear weren't nearly as safe as newer vehicles, despite what people think.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #18
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
Matt is right. The extremities of vehicles are made to crumple and cave, minimizing energy transfer into the passenger compartment. Hell, there are bars specifically placed for tires and bumpers to crash into and buckle the frame, rather than being pushing into the passenger footwell. The sides and passenger compartment are made to be rigid and protective, especially the lower portion and frame on something like a Wrangler. None of that is compromised much here, and the added structure from the full cage, assuming it's tied in properly to the body and frame, will make the passenger compartment safer. Factory roofs, cages, and "sport bars" are made to protect the passengers once. They mostly hold up enough for the passengers to survive, then they go to the scrap yard. Aftermarket setups like this are made to protect and keep going whenever possible. If it's rigid enough to do that, logic says that it's rigid enough to help more in all forms of impact. The issue would come in more with stuff like engine cages, chassis stiffening, monstrous bumpers with long frame tie-ins, etc. If they don't allow the chassis to crumple and cave, or in extreme cases prevent air bags from deploying, then the forces and impacts are being transferred to the passenger compartment and its contents. Watch a youtube video of crash testing Smart cars. They hold up great crashing into a barrier at 60mph. The car barely takes any damage. Since it's tiny and rigid with very little crumple zone, all that energy instead gets transferred to the occupants. No thanks. That's why the giant steel boats of yesteryear weren't nearly as safe as newer vehicles, despite what people think.

Thanks now just have to convince the :wifey: and myself that the cost of a full cage is worth the expense to remove the B-pillar for a better look.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #19
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue XJ View Post
That really cleans up the lines of the 4 door, I like the look of it, but that seems like a lot of work to install, just for a look. Is there an actual benefit from it or does it fall into the angry eyes category?
less chance to munch it on a tree or mountain side off road. if you are trying to protect a rig and keep it clean, that one upper point is HIGHLY vulnerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

Thanks now just have to convince the :wifey: and myself that the cost of a full cage is worth the expense to remove the B-pillar for a better look.
my TJ cage only cost like $250 ... but there might have been an hour or 2 of labor involved
Old 05-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #20
Cobound
- The Don -

The GenRight cage is what I'd prefer, with the B pillar delete kit...but EXPENSIVE and time consuming!! I'll likely not go that route. The Rock Hard cage is probably more realistic, and just leave the B pillar alone.

I've seen this in person and have wanted it for as long as I can recall...but damn they don't come cheap. And if you get a shop that's never done one before to do it for you, you're paying added hours for their learning time.