Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Tow Rig Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2020, 11:32 PM   #1
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Default New tow pig

After having my 2012 F350 for 3 years, and having to do something to it before or after each trip I took, including an entire $8,000 fuel system when the pump went out and sent metal shavings all throughout...I decided to upgrade. Picked up a 2020 F350 Lariat this past Thursday. Fully loaded, all the fancy stuff...and an 8 year, million mile bumper to bumper warranty. I haven’t towed yet, but this truck is awesome. The new Ford-GM 10-speed trans is awesome.

And, it still fits in the garage...

Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:06 AM   #2
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
...and an 8 year, million mile bumper to bumper warranty

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
8 year, million mile bumper to bumper warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post

Not quite the spaceship interior of the Ram, but holy hell, that's a warranty

Quote:
And, it still fits in the garage...
That is a LOOOOOONG truck, so fitting is a super bonus...cuz my Ram just fit by the skin of it's bumpers...and my JT is almost the same!!

That said, back to the warranty...F'N KILLER!! I got a 100k drivetrain on my JT via the financing I chose, then moved the loan when the period ended so I could snag a better rate. However, I have a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on it as well. Might make it a keeper, since I'm just over a year in and have 28k, so the factory warranty won't suffice for much longer.

Mine is NOT transferrable tho, which sucks, but again it entices me to keep it. Is your warranty transferrable?

Nice ride, cool color...wow - CONGRATS

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
Kurt
TJ Pimp

The warranty was a great surprise actually. We negotiated over the phone, got it to where we were happy, and then went in to sign papers. When there, the finance manager said the sale person mentioned how much I tow and how many miles I put on a year, and reworked the numbers to get that warranty thrown in for the same agreed upon price. Which, means there was still room to work with on price before, but since I went into it already thinking we agreed on one price, the warranty was a bonus and I'll take it.

The truck is long...quite a bit over my 2012 CCSB. The cabs are bigger on the 2017-2021 trucks with a bunch more back seat legroom. So with that, and the additional 18" of bed its definitely longer and takes up more space in the garage. But, I've still got about 3' behind the truck before it gets to the toolbox. And I can walk around it.

Im not sure about the warranty being transferrable, probably not. I'll have to check. I plan on keeping the truck for a long time though, and having the warranty for 8 years just solidifies that plan.

I can't wait to tow with it. 10 speed trans with 3.55 gears, 1,050 lb/ft of torque. Should have power ALL the time.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
I can't wait to tow with it. 10 speed trans with 3.55 gears, 1,050 lb/ft of torque. Should have power ALL the time.
I can't even imagine

Sweet deal, dude...ENJOY!!!

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
6DoF

Quote:
Old 12-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #7
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

The warranty is the only reason I can deduce in my head as to why you'd go for the same engine which cost you 8k in fuel system repairs, when the same flawed fuel pump is being used.

That said, that warranty is absolutely killer. I wonder if they offer the same option on the 7.3 gas equipped trucks.

Nice truck! I love a CCLB

I thought there was an extended warranty of sorts due to the CP4 failures. Did they come up with a root cause as to what happened to it?

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:42 PM   #8
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
The warranty is the only reason I can deduce in my head as to why you'd go for the same engine which cost you 8k in fuel system repairs, when the same flawed fuel pump is being used.
Same engine, "different" pump. The supposed bad pumps changed in 2015 for a newer version, supposedly fixing the issue from what I heard from my ex-Ford service guy, now independent shop owner.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:28 PM   #9
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

I did a 6.7 fuel system at work about a month ago. Was just over 12k. Low side pump was going out and the dude kept driving it til total failure. Fun fact he tried to get geico to cover ot. They ended up denying his claim but would have instantly approved it if we found any trace of water in the fuel system
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #10
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
I did a 6.7 fuel system at work about a month ago. Was just over 12k. Low side pump was going out and the dude kept driving it til total failure. Fun fact he tried to get geico to cover ot. They ended up denying his claim but would have instantly approved it if we found any trace of water in the fuel system
not a good enough customer to "help out"?

Old 12-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #11
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
I thought there was an extended warranty of sorts due to the CP4 failures. Did they come up with a root cause as to what happened to it?
My pump wasn't completely gone, but since there were small traces of metal, it had to be done. No idea what the root cause was, just speculation. No sign of water in the system, but most likely just not enough lubrication from the ultra low sulfer diesel.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #12
6DoF

Quote:
but most likely just not enough lubrication from the ultra low sulfer diesel.
i'm sure it would do bad things to your new truck, but i've heard enough ppl say that for a 12v you can add a little 2-stroke oil in each gas tank. the lubrication is supposed to really quite down the pump.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:32 AM   #13
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

Quote:
not a good enough customer to "help out"?

Na I dont play that game. And any customer that is going for insurance fraud likely isnt a good customer.

Nice truck Kurt. Im not a ford guy but those 6.7s have some major power and roomy interiors. Probably the best 1 ton truck all around.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:32 AM   #14
xj_man_646

Quote:
i'm sure it would do bad things to your new truck, but i've heard enough ppl say that for a 12v you can add a little 2-stroke oil in each gas tank. the lubrication is supposed to really quite down the pump.
The aftertreatment system will not appreciate that IMO. That would be about a 10k replacement IIRC.

I like diesels
Old 12-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #15
xj_man_646

I can't find any info that the pump is less susceptible now than before, to be honest. Hope your luck is different though. It is a badass truck. forthepeople.com's lawsuit on the CP4 covers 2011-present 6.7 trucks. They also list present GM vehicles, which use a Denso pump, so who knows how accurate that is. The info I just spent 10 quick mins looking over seems to bounce between CP4 and CP4.2 depending on application but both are mentioned for failures.

I like diesels
Old 12-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #16
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post
So you picked the right transmission but the wrong truck.
Nope.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #17
xj_man_646

Have there been any issues with the 10 speed torque converters behind the 6.7 that you know of? I've heard several reports of 7.3 trucks with less than 5k miles on them being held up at the dealer waiting for a new converter. Noise while sitting stationary, while in gear from what I understand. I'm waiting until after MY22 comes out.

I like diesels