Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2024, 07:52 PM   #1
YJay90
AKA: "Bob"

Send a message via AIM to YJay90
Default JT Gladiator - Opinions?

Looking to get back in to a "Jeep". What can you tell me about the reliability of the Stellantis/Chrysler JT? Specifically with the NA 3.6L V6 and manual (6spd. I think) gearbox? Looking for a base model with the wide track D44s.

Please educate me.

This will be a DD and driven on jobsites that will need 4wd + aggressive tread AT or MT tires. I occasionally tow a small single axle pop-up camper and a small single axle utility trailer (both < 3,100 lb. GVW).

Last Jeep I had was a mild 2.5L 5 spd. '90 YJ with a 3" spring lift and 33s. Since then I've been driving an '08 F150 on 33s with the gutless but trusty 4.6L. Now that I'm at 200k+ miles I need to start looking for a replacement. I'd love a JL or JLU, but have come to rely on a pick-up bed.

I've seen you guys say that the JT manuals were ok, but the JL manuals suck. How so?

Long post. Sorry.
YJay90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:22 AM   #2
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

i'm buddies with a Stellantis calibrations expert, gearhead, off roader, great engineer. they recently had him re-calibrated the manual JT. i guess the original dude actually didn't like manual vehicles and it made for a LOT of complaints. Joe made some significant changes and the mid pandemic and newer stuff should be a lot different/better. any JT can get the new cal though.

i rented an overland for 2 weeks once for work, was really nice around town. on the highway though, after 7h, it actually made me sea-sick from the extra motion ... Sean can fix ya up with the fix for that. i guess the Mojave doesn't do that wobbly junk factory too.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 08:58 PM   #3
wrath
Jeeper wannabe

Send a message via AIM to wrath

Tesla Model 3s, JTs, Power Wagons, and Silverados are stacked up at my work like cordwood. The first manual JTs and some of the JLs were really irritating to drive, especially at traffic lights. The first JTs also had a ton of rattles inside. Reminded me of a Chevy Cobalt or Dodge Caliber.

Anyway, I feel like the base JTs handle poorly like the new Maverick does even though the cal makes it way more tolerable to drive.

Last I heard Joe switched roles but it's been a few months since I saw him last at the township hall.
wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 06:18 AM   #4
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

yeah, i think the JT manual un-fukk was one of the last if not the last before moving.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:08 AM   #5
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

Ahh, Hornicator.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote