Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Default KD Fabworks 2015 JKU

Well, since I finished and sold the TJ, the JK is going to be getting some updating.

Current setup is:
2015 JK, 32,000 miles
Evo MFG Double D long arm with King Coilovers
ProRock44 front with ARB, 5.13's, RCV's, Reid knuckles, Dynatrac big brakes
D44 rear with ARB, 5.13's, Ten Factory shafts, Dynatrac big brakes
KD Fabworks front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, skid plates
36" Goodyear MTR's on Trailready Beadlocks

With the TJ gone, the JK is now going to be growing. I've picked up some 40" Cooper Discoverer STT Pros along with KMC Machete beadlocks.

These will all be going on a set of Dynatrac Elite XD60 and ProRock80 axles with ARB's and 5.38's. I should have those axles next Friday.

KMC Machete:

Starting to get them mounted:

Got one done....what a PITA. The bead on the Coopers is super thick, so getting these beadlocks to fully seat took a while.
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #2
Cobound
- The Don -

That’s already a killer rig...not sure I’d go 40s if I had the option again. Do love it, but damn it’s big

Those beadlocks look totally bad ass...super interested in hearing what your thoughts are in those Coopers. May be my next set, these Nittos are hard and not sure they’ll wear great much longer.

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes

Last edited by Cobound; 02-28-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #3
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

with the TJ out ... so much more room for activities!
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
Cobound
- The Don -

BTW - these will not be a hard sell at all, and you should get solid cash for them!!

Quote:
ProRock44 front with ARB, 5.13's, RCV's, Reid knuckles, Dynatrac big brakes
D44 rear with ARB, 5.13's, Ten Factory shafts, Dynatrac big brakes
Rocking the 6 cylinder, loaded w/ RCV's and Ten Factory shafts - you can beat the ever living snot out of those things w/ stickies not worry; I've seen it first hand!

Man, getting excited for EJS now. Talked to my buddy on Tuesday night, had some beers and scotch...this trip is gonna be sweet. We're driving out, overlanding, camping in the boonies...rockin some trails and hammering some libations - can't believe it's only 6 weeks out

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 03-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
BTW - these will not be a hard sell at all, and you should get solid cash for them!!

Rocking the 6 cylinder, loaded w/ RCV's and Ten Factory shafts - you can beat the ever living snot out of those things w/ stickies not worry; I've seen it first hand!

Man, getting excited for EJS now. Talked to my buddy on Tuesday night, had some beers and scotch...this trip is gonna be sweet. We're driving out, overlanding, camping in the boonies...rockin some trails and hammering some libations - can't believe it's only 6 weeks out
Thats awesome. We leave for Moab in 26 days!

As far as the axles go, I believe the front retails out around 7500-8K built the way it is. With only about 1,500 miles on it tops, Im thinking of 6,500 for the pair.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
Cobound
- The Don -

Damn, you're window is tighter than mine. I have to repair my rear AEV tire carrier, it wobbles, broke a couple of those plastic capture blocks, and my bearings look to be tweaked...could be that 40 back there :bang:

I also need some front swaybar quick discos...but it's been so damn cold and my garage is so damn packed I haven't been able to get to either of them. My buddy has his axles to drop in yet as well, and I'm thinking much more in depth than yours, since he's also making other mods to accompany them.

BYTM

Old 03-01-2019, 12:22 PM   #7
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Thats awesome. We leave for Moab in 26 days!

As far as the axles go, I believe the front retails out around 7500-8K built the way it is. With only about 1,500 miles on it tops, Im thinking of 6,500 for the pair.
dude ... no ... post em for $8500 and let someone talk you down. worst case you sit on em for an extra few weeks then lower the price. let someone spend their money if they want to, unless you are trying to beat the sale time record for the TJ!

Edit: sorry, i have more fun playing the game ...
Old 03-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #8
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Quote:
Damn, you're window is tighter than mine. I have to repair my rear AEV tire carrier, it wobbles, broke a couple of those plastic capture blocks, and my bearings look to be tweaked...could be that 40 back there :bang:

I also need some front swaybar quick discos...but it's been so damn cold and my garage is so damn packed I haven't been able to get to either of them. My buddy has his axles to drop in yet as well, and I'm thinking much more in depth than yours, since he's also making other mods to accompany them.

BYTM

As much as I want to, I dont think Im going to do the 60/80 and 40"s swap before Moab. Since I leave in just under 4 weeks I don't want to deal with the stress. I have a Jeep that works for what we are going to do, and its done it before. Im not picking up the axles for a week, and I'll be gone for the weekend. So that leaves only 2.5 weeks to get it done. Ill need to install axles, install the new PSC 8" ram, check for clearances for the 40's, do any necessary trimming/suspension tweaks, and measure and order driveshafts to be done in time. Can it be done? Yes. But with work I just dont want to stress myself out about it. When I get back from Moab I can take my time and do it right.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
dude ... no ... post em for $8500 and let someone talk you down. worst case you sit on em for an extra few weeks then lower the price. let someone spend their money if they want to, unless you are trying to beat the sale time record for the TJ!

Edit: sorry, i have more fun playing the game ...
Once I get them out and cleaned up Ill start adding everything up and come up with a price, but you are right, start high
Old 03-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

With how quickly that TJ sold I bet you'll find a JK guy to buy those axles in no time.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #11
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

As much as I want to, I dont think Im going to do the 60/80 and 40"s swap before Moab. Since I leave in just under 4 weeks I don't want to deal with the stress. I have a Jeep that works for what we are going to do, and its done it before. Im not picking up the axles for a week, and I'll be gone for the weekend. So that leaves only 2.5 weeks to get it done. Ill need to install axles, install the new PSC 8" ram, check for clearances for the 40's, do any necessary trimming/suspension tweaks, and measure and order driveshafts to be done in time. Can it be done? Yes. But with work I just dont want to stress myself out about it. When I get back from Moab I can take my time and do it right.
Ah, gothca...yeah, definitely go w/ what you got if you haven't started already
I thought you were already deep into it...since you had the tires ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
With how quickly that TJ sold I bet you'll find a JK guy to buy those axles in no time.
Yeah, they will go fast, people are into the JK and will snag them quick at the right price...even if that price is high!

Old 03-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #12
Jeepin Jason
I run this joint

All I've got to say is... DAAAAAYUM!!
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #13
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
All I've got to say is... DAAAAAYUM!!
Old 03-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #14
Kurt
TJ Pimp

I was wanting some rear corners for the JK and have been trying to decide what to do since our last Rubicon trip. Thought about making my own, but I really don't have the resources at the moment to build them the way I want. The ones I like are the Genrights, which is basically an AEV corner guard that Genright added to for full protection, and added recessed pockets for Maxbilt lights. They've been on backorder, but the finally have them in stock so I got some coming. Ill get them paint to match, should look good.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #15
Cobound
- The Don -

Meh, corner guards are ok, not sure I would’ve installed them myself. Love my Maxbilt lights...personally know the guys, they are just up the road from me. Their JK light boxes are sweet, too, BTW, if you don’t go the corner route.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:30 PM   #16
Kurt
TJ Pimp

Quote:
Meh, corner guards are ok, not sure I would’ve installed them myself. Love my Maxbilt lights...personally know the guys, they are just up the road from me. Their JK light boxes are sweet, too, BTW, if you don’t go the corner route.

I’ll be covering up some damage with the corner guards. I came down hard on a rock with a precision hit on my rear bumper on the Rubicon. Pushed it up into the tub. That split the paint on the vertical seam on the tub. If I wanted to do it again I bet I wouldn’t be able to, the rock hit the perfect spot. And I’ve taken that bumper off and put a new one on with some changes to help prevent that. So, I want to cover up the body damage and add some more protection.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #17
Cobound
- The Don -

Well, that’s the ticket!! I did the same w/ my Scrambler, covered up some damage. While I really liked it on the 8, not the same on the JK. However, the 8 had 3/16” steel and was there to take a hit. The JK is just a coverup...looks good none the less

Old 03-04-2019, 05:57 AM   #18
6DoF

Quote:
what's the story with the lights and them? were they the first guys to make them, take them over, name change?

i got a set of them for the TJ from GenRight back a bunch of years ago now. they look and fit awesome, but 30% of the LEDs were dead within the first 6 months ... and to be honest, i don't recall having ever seen a set in a wild that didn't have a bunch of dead LEDs. i'd love to love them ... but ...
Old 03-05-2019, 01:22 PM   #19
Cobound
- The Don -

Are you sure they were the Maxbilt lights?

No, they are not the originators of this type of light, but they are truly the best - and IIRC, have a lifetime warranty.

Off Road Only (ORO) has a set, and they are junk...garbage! I know them as well, they are just down the road from me here in MN...decent guys, but I'd steer towards Maxbilt for damn sure! Long story, I'll refrain...

Maxbilt may have went through a revision, possible, but what they have now are damn near indestructible...and I've seen them take a beating personally, as well as seen their online video tests...won't find a better rear tail on the market.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #20
6DoF

Quote:
Are you sure they were the Maxbilt lights?

No, they are not the originators of this type of light, but they are truly the best - and IIRC, have a lifetime warranty.

Off Road Only (ORO) has a set, and they are junk...garbage! I know them as well, they are just down the road from me here in MN...decent guys, but I'd steer towards Maxbilt for damn sure! Long story, I'll refrain...

Maxbilt may have went through a revision, possible, but what they have now are damn near indestructible...and I've seen them take a beating personally, as well as seen their online video tests...won't find a better rear tail on the market.
pretty sure mine are the ORO. i just know i got them from GenRight and they currently list the Maxbilt ones, that's why i asked. they look identical. wish i could get new ones, just can't bring myself to spend the money again.

maxbilt is lifetime, the way it should be.

edit: this is the ORO warranty ... talk about 100% horse sh!t ... "Unit replacement warranty if an LED fails within 90 days or three fail within 12 months." i'm sorry, but if 1 fails in the first 5 years you should be replacing it!!

Last edited by 6DoF; 03-05-2019 at 02:08 PM.