Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
Maybe dig into the Grand's sales, but I'd guess they make more % on Wranglers than on the Grand, so Jeep would likely come out ahead in terms of revenue and PFO. Even if they "only" offered the 5.7L HEMI, and "only" in the 4dr JLU, the damn thing would sell like hotcakes. The only real downside, for some folks, would be a drop in JK/JKU resale as the market gets flooded by JK owners upgrading to a HEMI JL.
It has nothing to do with the Grand, they're totally different markets. The packaging just isn't there for a V8. They can be shoehorned in by the aftermarket but would never meet OEM crash standards. Between that and the ever increasing MPG and emissions standards we'll never see an OEM V8 Wrangler. Hell, even the full-size truck market is moving away from them, there's no way a Wrangler will move toward it.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Jeepin Jason
I run this joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
...The packaging just isn't there for a V8. They can be shoehorned in by the aftermarket but would never meet OEM crash standards. ...
You've mentioned that before but it still seems totally crazy to me given the comparative sizes of the JK/JL vs the Grand Cherokee. But at the same time, the Pentastar in my JK feels cramped compared to the HEMI in my MIL's WK2.

Just a difference in how they can build the unibody Grand vs the BOF Wrangler?
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
It has nothing to do with the Grand, they're totally different markets. The packaging just isn't there for a V8. They can be shoehorned in by the aftermarket but would never meet OEM crash standards. Between that and the ever increasing MPG and emissions standards we'll never see an OEM V8 Wrangler. Hell, even the full-size truck market is moving away from them, there's no way a Wrangler will move toward it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
You've mentioned that before but it still seems totally crazy to me given the comparative sizes of the JK/JL vs the Grand Cherokee. But at the same time, the Pentastar in my JK feels cramped compared to the HEMI in my MIL's WK2.

Just a difference in how they can build the unibody Grand vs the BOF Wrangler?
Mopar makes/markets the lift kits now, something that would not have been heard of 15 years ago. Could they put together a crate engine kit with all the hook ups and software ready to go. Just bolts, plugs, and a thumb-drive for a competent mechanic to do in a day; and stay in compliance with the law? Do it at the dealership and they give you credit for the delivery mile only Pentastar?
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Jeepin Jason
I run this joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Mopar makes/markets the lift kits now, something that would not have been heard of 15 years ago. Could they put together a crate engine kit with all the hook ups and software ready to go. Just bolts, plugs, and a thumb-drive for a competent mechanic to do in a day; and stay in compliance with the law? Do it at the dealership and they give you credit for the delivery mile only Pentastar?
Mopar did that for a while actually, back around 2012. I'm not sure what became of it though...

From an FCA press release for SEMA 2012:

Quote:
Mopar 5.7-liter and 6.4-liter HEMI® V-8 Conversion Kits for Jeep Wrangler

Mopar’s newly created off-road division will announce a new Mopar 6.4-liter HEMI V-8 engine conversion kit that covers 2007 through 2011 model-year Jeep Wranglers. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is $18,599 and the part number is P5156162.

Producing approximately 470 horsepower and 470 lb.-ft. of torque to the rear wheels, the Mopar V-8 conversion kit gives Jeep Wrangler enthusiasts an unprecedented blend of power and capability. The Mopar Wrangler 6.4-liter HEMI V-8 conversion kit will mate to Chrysler Group’s W5A580 five-speed automatic transmission, and eventually to the six-speed manual transmission.

The new 5.7-liter HEMI conversion kit also covers 2007 through 2011 model-year Jeep Wranglers. The MSRP is $15,599 and the part number is P5156213. The engine generates approximately 375 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque.
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote