Dennis
Semper Fi !

Default Official End of the JK, Friday April 27th, 2018

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...G06/180429898/
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #2
Cobound
- The Don -

Adios...waiting for the JT, or an affordable JL to come along well before I give up my JK.

Was another great Jeep run, now only if they brought the REAL Cherokee (XJ) back w/ the updates the JL received

B

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:24 AM   #3
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Adios...waiting for the JT, or an affordable JL to come along well before I give up my JK.

Was another great Jeep run, now only if they brought the REAL Cherokee (XJ) back w/ the updates the JL received

B
JT is gonna be a helluva lot less affordable than the JL, so don't get too excited. I've heard from a reliable source that it's intended as a niche vehicle and will be priced accordingly.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
JT is gonna be a helluva lot less affordable than the JL, so don't get too excited. I've heard from a reliable source that it's intended as a niche vehicle and will be priced accordingly.
Yeah, that's why I said I'll be waiting

Totally NOT excited to hear the price, and likely not even an option after I've had my JK to Moab. I really like the dry storage space, the interior room, wheelbase...and most of all, especially after have my hangover scraping Scrambler...the departure angle on mine is freakin sweet!

Anyway, I'm not a JK hater, so I'm good w/ what I got for the time.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 04-26-2018, 05:17 PM   #6
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Man that article was harsh at the end.
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:15 AM   #7
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

The end of the article is accurate.

One thing to note is the wind noise. I drove a JL with 750 miles on it last week, and had wind noise around the doors. Bugged the sh1t out of me for a brand new vehicle with that price tag.

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
Cobound
- The Don -

Meh, I've gotten wind noise in other high end vehicles, the JL I drove was everything you could ask for.

It's not a car

That right there was likely their harshest feedback...people buying one thought they were getting into a car, they weren't. Which lead to low reviews and such, as the article stated as well...IIRC. Anyway, "it is what it" is never fit a vehicle better than a Jeep Wrangler

Old 04-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #9
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

ppl get into $500,000 convertible cars and complain about wind noise ... these are the same ppl executing the pyramid scheme of hate.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #10
xj_man_646

It also had more bump steer than my old wheeler did. Metro Detroit roads and a 2 door Wrangler do not go well

I will say it was far more comfortable than the JK's I have driven. When I sit comfortably in a JK, my head is touching the B-pillar. Not so with the JLs I have been in...that is nice.

I like diesels
Old 04-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #11
champ
not cool enough

I had a 4dr Sahara JK as a rental in Canada this week and I thought it was incredibly quiet and comfortable. The ride was bit firm, but wind noise and tracking at 120kph () was great.
champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #12
Dennis
Semper Fi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
I had a 4dr Sahara JK as a rental in Canada this week and I thought it was incredibly quiet and comfortable. The ride was bit firm, but wind noise and tracking at 120kph () was great.
Yeah, relative to a CJ/YJ/TJ, they are silent. Compared to a Mercedes M-class they are a little loud. Compared to the Bentley SUV I rode in a few weeks ago, JKs are like being in a tornado.

Last edited by Dennis; 04-30-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #13
Cobound
- The Don -

Old 04-29-2018, 10:24 PM   #14
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Quote:
The Jeep Wrangler JK and especially the JKU Wrangler Unlimited were remarkable vehicles when they were introduced, and remained so even as they grew more and more obsolete over the ensuing decade. When the last one rolls on Friday, Jeep fans everywhere should raise a glass to its passing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
The end of the article is accurate.
Fukkin burn man.
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #15
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
It also had more bump steer than my old wheeler did. Metro Detroit roads and a 2 door Wrangler do not go well

I will say it was far more comfortable than the JK's I have driven. When I sit comfortably in a JK, my head is touching the B-pillar. Not so with the JLs I have been in...that is nice.
It's easy to fix the wind noise. I was driving one this weekend. Had the freedom panels off for a while, got one of the seals folded over when I reinstalled. Took 30 seconds to fix and it's back to being quieter than my car, even on 35" KM2s.

Bump steer isn't bad at all on these. It's got front and rear track bars, so on major road disturbances they can get upset a bit, but it's not much different than most vehicles I've driven.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:02 PM   #16
xj_man_646

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
It's easy to fix the wind noise. I was driving one this weekend. Had the freedom panels off for a while, got one of the seals folded over when I reinstalled. Took 30 seconds to fix and it's back to being quieter than my car, even on 35" KM2s.

Bump steer isn't bad at all on these. It's got front and rear track bars, so on major road disturbances they can get upset a bit, but it's not much different than most vehicles I've driven.
The wind noise seemed to be coming from the front of the door on the driver's side (normally passenger's side - this was a RHD model), at the window. Who knows.

It was also a 2 door, which I know makes it a bit more unstable. It seemed to get unsettled easier than anything I have driven in recent history, but a short wheel base, solid axle vehicle will definitely tend to do that. At least it didn't rattle at all.

Who knows...with how much of an after thought the interior design of the RHD model was (very little room around the pedals - trans tunnel, etc., was definitely meant for a LHD vehicle), I wouldn't be surprised if it was a result of the RHD steering design itself

I like diesels
Old 04-30-2018, 12:36 PM   #17
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Who knows...with how much of an after thought the interior design of the RHD model was (very little room around the pedals - trans tunnel, etc., was definitely meant for a LHD vehicle), I wouldn't be surprised if it was a result of the RHD steering design itself
Obviously they switch the direction of the front track bar to match the RHD draglink. I wonder if they switch the rear also? I seriously hope so, because it would make for some funky handling having the front axle push left on bumps and the rear push right, it would tend to cock the chassis slightly each time. We've got a RHD Brute downstairs, I'll check on that(not that it's the same).

Edit:
Brain fart. Front and rear track bars run opposite from the factory. Probably for the balancing effect so the chassis feels straight over bumps. Both ends are switched on our RHD Brute, I assume they did on JL also so that wouldn't be the issue.

Last edited by bbaCJ8; 04-30-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #18
xj_man_646

Yeah, I thought they ran opposite directions from factory. I didn't even think to look at this one. I assume it is the same as the Brute you looked at...sadly, it is gone. I'll try to remember next time I see one

I like diesels
Old 05-03-2018, 12:55 AM   #19
BanditXJ
El Bandito

Send a message via AIM to BanditXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
if they brought the REAL Cherokee (XJ) back w/ the updates the JL received
Man... if only. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #20
xj_man_646

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditXJ View Post
Man... if only. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
No kidding. Good lord that would be amazing

I like diesels