Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2020, 06:20 AM   #1
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Default PolarYJ: NextGen

it's finally here!!! the moment i get to stop setting up the house/shop and get back to wrenching for the fun of it!!!

So the YJ is going under the knife again, but this time not just a restoration, i'm making changes. i built this configuration with the d44/12bolt back in about 2005. i put these specific IROK tires on it in Jan 2007. things have gone well! but 13yo tires are like driving on grease in the rocks, the 12b is machining it's own ring gear away, and the d44 is cracked and bent and bandaid'd in multiple places. no more spares or hold-overs, it's time for new.

Enter ... the 40s. i got a pretty solid deal on 6 40s that i couldn't pass up. not sure why i need/want 6, but that's what there was. no way i'm putting 40s on 1/2ton axles, so it's time for beef. rear axle is getting an exact duplicate of the full-float 9" in the TJ. same width, same components, just leaves vs links. simplify spare parts and the axle really does work well. front is just getting a GM Dana60, cuz the front is already a GM d44 and this should basically bolt-in. 5.38s, Yukon Competition Zip locker f/r (air operated normally spooled) rear is also getting another 2" of stretch via offset axle perches, and the front might get an inch somehow.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:23 AM   #2
6DoF

last night i got the 12b out, shockingly everything came loose easy and it fell right out. the only surprise was that the slip in my rear drive shaft was bound up SOLID. glad that didn't break my t-case.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

How is the tub doing these days?

Glad you came to your senses and are bolting in a GM D60

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
6DoF

hey, these axles were awesome for a LONG time ... all things considered, i'd not change the past.

a few years ago i did that "frame off" resto and fixed a LOT of the rust in the tub. not saying it's perfect or super pretty, but still more solid than i need to beat off rocks
Old 02-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
xj_man_646

Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646

No, I meant vs. building a custom 60-9 for the front. Swapping a GM D60 makes way more sense IMO. I agree that the outgoing setup treated you pretty well.

Forgot about that other work you've done on the tub

I like diesels
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
Cobound
- The Don -

Hurry up and get this done...I'll be honest, want to see that truck progress more

Excited to see another build tho, I'll live vicariously through you since I have no patience, time or space

I got to ride in Steve's C3, so now you need to get this ready for Moab so I can take a peel in yours, too

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
No, I meant vs. building a custom 60-9 for the front. Swapping a GM D60 makes way more sense IMO. I agree that the outgoing setup treated you pretty well.

Forgot about that other work you've done on the tub
OOOHHHH, absolutely. for this jeep i the added weight actually makes sense too. i really need it down low n fwd to help me climb better.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #8
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
Hurry up and get this done...I'll be honest, want to see that truck progress more

Excited to see another build tho, I'll live vicariously through you since I have no patience, time or space

I got to ride in Steve's C3, so now you need to get this ready for Moab so I can take a peel in yours, too
so the YJ has to be trail ready for a run April 17th ... after that the '55 gets pulled back out for a summer project.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:09 AM   #9
6DoF

got the axle flanges and spring perches all set up last night and half burned in. tonight i hope to finish welding those and bend/weld on a matching tube truss to the TJ.

still missing shock mounts and the traction bar mount, but will probably install those with the axle bolted into it's final place. need weight on it for the traction bar and to flex it for the shocks.

also, these ruffstuff 2+ perches are awesome.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #10
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

I used their 1" offset mounts (really just perches with 3 holes drilled in them) for the j10.
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:14 AM   #11
6DoF

i re-drilled an extra hole 1" offset into the 12bolt perches, so i only gained 2" from these. but should be just enough to keep the 40s off the body behind the door.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #12
Cobound
- The Don -

When you doing the round headline conversion

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 02-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #13
6DoF

Quote:
When you doing the round headline conversion
Old 02-20-2020, 01:37 PM   #14
Cobound
- The Don -

Sure it is, I just Googled it and look what I found

https://youtu.be/N_p0VoUIAmY

Old 02-21-2020, 06:37 AM   #15
6DoF

Cutting will be required

i got the flanges and perches fully welded last night, then built and 50% welded the truss. it's the same link mount truss i put on the TJ since i had a spare plate already cut and the tube lying around. pretty sure it wasn't needed, and pretty sure it isn't adding a whole lot of extra structure, but the plate actually ended up basically dead level with the spring perches!

Last edited by 6DoF; 02-21-2020 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:43 AM   #16
6DoF

i don't know, B ... that might be worse than the angry eyes!
Old 02-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #17
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
i don't know, B ... that might be worse than the angry eyes!
Yeah, I'd go w/ it's actually worse than an angry grill myself

Honestly, had to rib a bit...I had a YJ, loved it!!! While the square lights veered from the original look of the SWB, I still wholeheartedly believe that the grille should simply not be messed with...factory all the way. Be it any model out there, it stays

Old 02-24-2020, 08:20 AM   #18
6DoF

what ya think B, 40s on the 55?

it happened, i got em on there this weekend. the stupid Chineseium wheel bearings didn't fit, and no one local had any better, so i ended up scavenging the Timken's from the front 60

love the new departure angle, not super excited to go to a mini-comp-cut to make them fit. but i'll make ti look good i hope. with the tire and slightly taller spring perches, the frame gained 4 full inches of clearance. now i have 13.5" under the diff, 24.5" at the skid, and 28" at the frame. i kind of wish it was a little shorter maybe.

left it all stripped n ready for the front 60, just need to sort a few things out first. drill n re-tap the spring plate stud holes, new center pins in the springs, and both fixed spring hangers have rips in them. so getting new HD hangers, mounting them 1" fwd, and re-drilling the center pin holes on the axle 1" off. the shackles were quite vertical, so they shouldn't even notice extra inch.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #19
Cobound
- The Don -

I'd be as good w/ the 40s as I would w/ the low rider...but those really belong on the Jeep

That departure is pimp as hell!

Ok, when ya gonna hit the trail w/ some of us

Old 02-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #20
6DoF

Quote:
Ok, when ya gonna hit the trail w/ some of us
ASAP!!

seriously though, this summer will probably be local shake-downs and re-learning, along with rebuilding the savings. but i REALLY want to get out and do some new stuff bad. i REALLY want to get out west. moab would be like $1500 in fuel, maybe i can find a passenger who would like to split some of that.

Last edited by 6DoF; 02-24-2020 at 01:59 PM.