Jeepin.com Forums  

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > Tech > Jeep Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #121
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Send a message via AIM to Sir Sam

Holy sheet thats a small bed. Think there will be a longbed option?
Sir Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #122
Cobound
- The Don -

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAndy View Post
I just checked out pricing on these things. WOW
Yeah, it ain't no joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
Because they're going off how the top fits on the AEV Brute DC and because both of those are outdated and based on JK images. It's possible that tan one is just a highly photoshopped AEV Brute DC.

Here's the CAD for the JT body and bed.

top of page posterity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
Big J FTMFW

and i love the idea of the flare as the crossover. both from a style, a function, and a manufacturing standpoint.
How so...seems odd to me.

Tell me why, cuz I'd think there'd be some sort of movement issues...unless I'm seeing it wrong. And the rounded edges are going to take some getting used to, really like how AEV did them, and the bed. I do like the JL top tho, real sleek...and the extra space they created by moving the wiper below, why did it take them so long

Anyway, this is what the damn thing should look like

Only thing I've never really liked about it is the fact that the bed doesn't line up w/ the hard top...looks odd when removed.

I digress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sam View Post
I highly doubt there will be a longbed version, they are already long enough and confident R&D has not included extending it. However, you may see some aftermarket extenders

Super excited to see these on the road, unmasked!!

Not all those who wander are lost.

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Cobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #123
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobound View Post
See it flex...wow, has some great flex! The fact that 37s fit into those wheelwells with minor rubbing at full flex is flat out amazing!!

https://www.facebook.com/trailjeeps/...2710714134006/

Will need some bumpstops, but damn that is a killer accomplishment with JUST 2 inches!!

And some renderings of the JT - just how close will it be to this
Those are some gawd awful bumpers

It already has the Mopar bumpstop extensions as shown there. Biggest problem is the stupid offset they used. The JL uses same wheel offset as JK and tires already stick out past the flare more than a JK(especially with the wider Rubicon axles), then these guys used a stupid wheel offset and cause more issues. Turn under flex and that thing will be ripping flares off. Obviously I don't hate wide Jeeps, but in this case it's unnecessary and is causing more problems than it fixes. The JL Rubicon axles are damn near fullwidths already. Right around 68" WMS-WMS if I remember right.

Those JT rendering bumpers are fairly close to the Sport/Sahara base style on the endcaps where they raise up to meet the flare. JK had that style for international vehicles, it was a unique plastic cover. Looks like on JL they commonized it to do a single version for domestic and international. It'll meet both standards and probably give a miniscule MPG improvement to help their CAFE standards. Fortunately they were smart enough to make it a simple bolt-on piece that can be popped off easily.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #124
Jeepin Jason
I run this joint

Quote:
Bed should be about the same size as the Brute's and basically every other mid-size truck's short bed... 5 foot.

No longbed option. JT will be a one-size-only vehicle.
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #125
6DoF
AKA: jeepnski

Quote:
How so...seems odd to me.
less material is the biggest, so that's cheaper to make and less hidden structure/weight you gota haul around every day.

it includes the body to bed gap in the fender opening, means a larger possible opening from the start for tire clearance

and i just like how it should combine the body n bed to a more seamless set of lines vs 2 separate bits like a standard truck.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #126
Cobound
- The Don -

I can get behind that...all things AEV didn't need to concern themselves with, since they were a custom builder, one off type mindset.

Good points, Sean, being bolt-off (yes, that's what I said - ha) and easy to remove is key for anyone that wants to do more than drive to the mall

The great irony - triggered snowflakes accusing triggered snowflakes of being triggered snowflakes
Old 01-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #127
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAndy View Post
I just checked out pricing on these things. WOW
JL comparably equipped to a JK is only I think $1-2k more. Problem is, most of them currently out there are loaded to the gills and the price is jacked up accordingly. They offer way more widgets and doohickeys in them now, so the max price is higher. Of course that's all the haters see and b1tch about, but that's inevitable.

Quote:
Not gonna happen. People are already whining that it's too long and breakover sucks. It's gonna be a fairly low volume, high priced niche vehicle. Marchionne said it himself.

Quote:
And the rounded edges are going to take some getting used to, really like how AEV did them, and the bed. I do like the JL top tho, real sleek...and the extra space they created by moving the wiper below, why did it take them so long

Only thing I've never really liked about it is the fact that the bed doesn't line up w/ the hard top...looks odd when removed.

I digress...

I highly doubt there will be a longbed version, they are already long enough and confident R&D has not included extending it. However, you may see some aftermarket extenders

Super excited to see these on the road, unmasked!!
That looks goofy because it doesn't have flares and is stock ride height. Ever see a Brute at stock ride height? Looks retarded. 35s are ok, IMO 37s are minimum to look good proportionally. Then again I'm around 40" trucks day in and day out so my perception is probably skewed. As for body/bed alignment, think about how shallow the bed would have to be to match the body line. The JL has a higher beltline so it's easier for them to match it, plus designing the understructure to work together happily from the get-go rather than as a retrofit opens up a lot of opportunity.

There will be a lot of Brute design cues on JT. FCA has had them in their design studio for years. They've been wanting to make one for a loooong time but it was too late in JK product cycle to justify the expense. People don't realize the true cost of design, validation, testing, tooling, etc, etc.

Sounds like the JT is an entirely unique vehicle compared to JL. It almost needs to be since the body structure no longer adds rigidity to the frame once you get past the rear seats and it's still meant to ride/handle properly and be able to carry a load. Should have much better payload than any Wrangler we've seen, but I doubt it'll be 1/2 ton truck territory. Colorado/Ranger if we're lucky. But as I said above, it's a niche vehicle and will probably be out of price range for most people who want to use it like a truck anyway.

Quote:
I can get behind that...all things AEV didn't need to concern themselves with, since they were a custom builder, one off type mindset.

Good points, Sean, being bolt-off (yes, that's what I said - ha) and easy to remove is key for anyone that wants to do more than drive to the mall
I'm not talking about the whole corner coming off, that's specific to the stamped steel HardRock-style like on the Rubicon in your video. The plastic Sport and Sahard bumpers are 1 piece. I'm just talking about the ugly gap filler wings that tie up between bumper and flare.
Like these, but now a separate piece:

Last edited by bbaCJ8; 01-26-2018 at 09:11 AM.
bbaCJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #128
Cobound
- The Don -

I knew what you meant...those things are horrid

Old 01-26-2018, 06:38 PM   #129
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Quote:

Now that is long, keep in mind shoving the axle further up keeps the wheel base shorter.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #130
Sir Sam
Working Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaCJ8 View Post
I'm not talking about the whole corner coming off, that's specific to the stamped steel HardRock-style like on the Rubicon in your video. The plastic Sport and Sahard bumpers are 1 piece. I'm just talking about the ugly gap filler wings that tie up between bumper and flare.
Like these, but now a separate piece:
That filler gap is found in other countries based on legal requirements for on road vehicles, having that gap doesn't pass legal requirements in the EU and Australia.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #131
Cobound
- The Don -

Had a stock Taco drive past me yesterday...kinda pictured the JT only cooler. Smaller trucks have grown on me lately...especially the Taco, I’ve seen them well built as of late. Especially the overlanding type...man, this JT is gonna kill the small truck market. Of course, at an expense to the user

Old 01-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #132
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

I came to the realization the other day, that I still don't like new jeeps. But it doesn't matter since I will never be buying one so I'm not their marketing target
nblehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #133
Cobound
- The Don -

Old 01-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #134
Jeepin Jason
I run this joint

Quote:
Now that is long, keep in mind shoving the axle further up keeps the wheel base shorter.
Based on the Brute's specs, the JT should be around the same overall length and wheelbase as a Tacoma double-cab long-bed, it's just that the JT will have a shortbed on it.

With the requisite 2-3" lift and 35-37" tires it's going to dwarf the Taco though.

Untitled by Jason West, on Flickr
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #135
Cobound
- The Don -

Noice!

Old 01-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #136
Sir Sam
Working Mother

This video gives some good info on the next gen axles, looks like quite a few differences, gonna be a whole new ball game with them I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJHOMm3tCN0h
Old 01-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #137
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

I've been seeing a lot of those things the past few days in the Detroit area. ALL over the place it seems. Pretty quick that they got them out on the roads.
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #138
freerider15
shoplifter fail

Send a message via AIM to freerider15

I'm just hoping this makes the JK's more realistic in price in the next few years.

Maybe once Nikki's '96 XJ is on it's way out...I'd be willing to entertain a JK...given the right pricing.
freerider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #139
FUBAR
four years later???

The JL is more than the JK so don't expect JK prices to drop any time soon. I just wish my CJ would jump up in value so I could sell knowing I only wasted thousand, instead of 10s of thousands.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #140
Cobound
- The Don -