Jeepin.com Forums

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > General > Tow Rig Talk

Old 05-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
BobD

Post Flat Towing Jeep Liberty

We have a 35' Itasca Sunova class-A motor home with a new Blue Ox Aventa LX tow-bar system. We tow a 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport, Automatic, 4WD (we see tons of these on the road as "toweds").

On *some* low-speed sweeping turns like traffic circles, on/off-ramps, etc. we are hearing what sounds like tire squeals. The steering is definitely not locked (i.e., ignition is ON) and transfer case is in Neutral. The vehicle tows great maneuvering in town and on the highways. Some, but not all, bends cause the load tire squeals, and we have had trips without one incident of tire squeal noise. The sound that comes closest to what we hear is like tires screeching when brakes are locked, but the brakes and wheels are not locking.

Blue Ox and our installer has never heard of such a problem. The installation is within specifications re: receiver vs. baseplate hights, there is no visible rub marks or tire wear that would indicate the tires are locking, dragging or rubbing in the wheel wells.

As anyone heard of this type of problem and/or have any suggestions on how to isolate or correct it?

advTHANKSance!

Last edited by BobD; 05-17-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Update details of problem.
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
XJ Thule 2000
Lemming

Send a message via AIM to XJ Thule 2000

Are you positive that it's the Libby making the noise?
#95 NER SCCA Rallycross

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47757586@N00/

2000 XJ Fixed..ish
2011 JK Unlimited DD
XJ Thule 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
BobD

Reasonably certain. Motor Home tire pressure is correct, no signs of rubbing or scraping near tires or hitch receiver. You hear the same type of sounds sometimes from cars driving slowly around in a parking lot. That clue seems to have struck a chord with the Service Manager at Colonial Itasca in Lakewood. He came up through the ranks as an automotive tech, then moved on to RVs. He thinks its the front end alignment on the Liberty where in certain turns it doesn't track correctly behind the motor home and "drags the front wheels sideways slightly. I'm having the alignment checked tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks for the reply! This one has a lot of people stumped.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
BobD

That was it - Right Front Toe was out of alignment. Not enough to notice driving the Liberty, but enough to make it track wide on certain turns when the Jeep was being flat-towed behind our motor home.

I still get a slight chirp if I make a slow, tight s-turn (drive in bend to the left, then swing right) so I'll have to take them slower. But I test drove through all of the local trouble spots and there were no noises or problems.

Blue Ox said for the S-Turns, I might want to try two bungee chords on the steering wheel to help it return to center quicker. They found some vehicles, especially small ones like Smart Cars when flat-towed 4-wheels down have issues with the steering wheel staying centered. It may be the Jeep is a little slow to react to the change in direction and drags the front wheels a bit until the steering wheel comes around the other direction. I never had issues towing trailers, but I also never had wheels close to the hitch like when flat-towing.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
XJ Thule 2000
Lemming

Send a message via AIM to XJ Thule 2000

That was what I was going to say to check next. We flat tow an XJ behind our rig, and it chips on tight slow corners. The Jeep is trying to go one way, and the the arse of the motorhome suddenly swings it the other way.

Can't really notice it unless we're really really listening for it. Motorhome is a diesel pusher, makes enough noise to drown out the chirping.
#95 NER SCCA Rallycross

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47757586@N00/

2000 XJ Fixed..ish
2011 JK Unlimited DD
XJ Thule 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote