Auburn Hills, Mich., Jan 04, 2004 -Designed for the most extreme situations and unforgiving conditions, the Jeep® Rescue concept is not only the ultimate type of search and rescue vehicle – it’s the ultimate execution of a Jeep off-road vehicle.
Combine legendary Jeep off-road capability with state-of-the-art search and rescue technology, the Jeep Rescue is designed to reach areas in the harshest, most daunting mountainous and desert areas.
“Jeep Rescue is the supreme trail search and research vehicle – one that only Jeep could build, “ said Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President – Chrysler Group Design.
Classic Jeep Design Taken to An Exciting New Dimension and Extreme
Starting with a modern interpretation of the timeless, classic Jeep, the Rescue not only hints at a future design direction for a large Jeep – it builds on the rugged Jeep heritage to forge an exciting new dimension for the Jeep brand.
The Rescue can be configured to run almost totally “open” – with folding front windshield and a retractable backlite, a sliding glass sunroof in front, a fold-forward canvas roof in the rear, plus, all four doors are removable.
A Rugged Foundation
Featuring all-new body-on-frame construction with hydroformed frame rails and riding on an 80-inch wide chassis with 123-inch wheelbase and 37-inch tires, the Jeep Rescue is built for anything thrown its way. The front hydropneumatic suspension combines with the heavy-duty link-coil rear suspension to give the Rescue its solid footing on all terrain. The suspension has adjustable ride height and an additional 4-inch lift available for fording. The aforementioned 37-inch tires feature an MTR tread and run-flat capability, negating the need for a spare. On-board tire pressure control has the ability to “tune” tire pressures for maximum traction on all surfaces.
Unequalled Rescue Capability
Powered by a Cummins Diesel and featuring seating for five, the Jeep Rescue’s primary mission is rescue capability, and its list of rescue and safety equipment is impressive:
- AC electric power (10 kW) generation in the field
- 3-D topographical mapping software and topographical navigation system
- Under- chassis, point-of-view cameras for avoiding danger in its path
- Passive, infrared (thermal) cameras for search and rescue
- Satellite telephone; VHF radio, digital video recorder with satellite transmission capability
- Retractable 4-point harnesses for vehicle occupants
- Exterior perimeter lighting
- White LEV lighting for long distance visual search and reduced power use
- Folding seats in rear compartment of vehicle
- Remote control winch – front and back
“The Jeep Rescue is Jeep capability taken to maximum extreme and that, being Jeep, is unmatchable,” said Creed. “It is everything the Jeep brand represents – in a vehicle equipped for unequalled search and rescue service.”