Jeepin.com Forums

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > General > Jeep Talk

Old 10-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
Cody2kool

Default cj5 snorkel

Im wanting to build a snorkel for my 79 cj5, any tips?
Cody2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
MJMA
Got Rocks?

Send a message via AIM to MJMA

What's it got for a motor?? Is it built to beat on or more of a restoration?? You know the notch in the hood on the passenger side (I think, right?) of the CJ-5 hood? I am under the impression, and I could be wrong, that that notch was for running a snorkel out of for deep water crossings. Having said that, I've never seen one wtih the intended snorkel in place...that's just what I've been told that that notch is for. So, if you're doing a restoration, maybe look into that more??

If restoration is not the goal then you could get one form ARB or a few of the other aftermarket companies that make snorkels for jeeps. OR, if you're cheap and this is a beater wheeling rig, get some PVC and go to town!! Search for 'homemade snorkel' or 'homebrew snorkel' on here or any other big jeep site and you'll get tons of write ups on how to. They most likely won't be CJ-5 specific, but if you're handy, you can find a way to make it work...maybe even incorporate that notch in the hood!!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Cody2kool

This jeep is being made to beat the hell out of, the only thing im not sure about is hooking it up to the air filter.
Cody2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
OverlandZJ
aka: ExpeditionXJ

I installed a Military snorkel on a bud's early CJ-5. Only the early had the removable insert. I think it was 70 when they extended the front end to accomodate the inline 6cyl.

Google M38A1 deep water fording kit, should give ya plenty of pics.
K for your information, assshole, I have seen a lion. And not one of your crap asss queen of the jungle homoerotic pusssy-cat lions. A real lion, with fangs and horns and wings and shiit. Don't pull your fawkinging wierd asss african voodoo hypnosis crap on me when you don't even know wtf you're talking about.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote